Securing Car inside Enclosed Trailer

This is a discussion on Securing Car inside Enclosed Trailer within the Big Rig Tow Behinds forums, part of the Technical Exchange category; I am presently considering an enclosed trailer but have questions. How do you get out of the car if there ...

Default Securing Car inside Enclosed Trailer

I am presently considering an enclosed trailer but have questions. How do you get out of the car if there is no side door in the trailer? Will the car door open enough to get out? Is the car secured in place with tire tie downs like a tow dolly? If you have tools and work bench in the front of the trailer what does your design look like?

Any pictures would be appreciated. Thanks, William
    2005 Newell 45 Ft.

Detroit 60 Series 515 HP Engine

Some people call me the Space Cowboy

There will be very little room inside the trailer to open a car door without the trailer having a door in the right position. Saw one guy that had a convertible so he could drive the car in with the top down so he could crawl out of the trailer. Most decent car hauler trailers will have some access door in the front so you can enter to tie down the car, otherwise it would be very difficult. Then again if your hauling a tiny car then a bit more room would be available to crawl in and around.
    Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!

Site Team

I agree with Sean. I have two enclosed trailers that can haul autos or bikes etc., Both have 48" access doors near the right hand front of the trailer making it relatively

easy to access the right side of the car for entrance and to tie it down. I use strap tie downs that go over the wheels/tires and then ratchet tight to "D" rings that are

bolted to the frame in front and behind the vehicle. Sometimes you may have to add additional "D" rings to the floor depending on the length of your vehicle.
    Ken
    Previous Owner of 3 Newell's
    Wanted: Newell Coach Needing Engine Replacement!
    If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know Iím not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
    -Bob Marley