PDA

View Full Version : Another "what's that switch?"

folivier
05-27-2009, 08:35 PM
I think I know what the "override" switch is for: overriding the DDEC shutdown to get off the road?
But what is the "trans ck" switch for?
Thanks.

fulltiming
05-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Interesting switch Forest. I don't have that switch on my 1992. Which transmission do you have (mine is the HT-740) and which shifter (mine has the air shifter, Tom's has the lever shifter and the newer Newells have the up/down keypad shifter)? I know that the Allison World Transmissions with the keypad had a sequence of holding two buttons down to get various transmission codes including the transmission fluid level.

Anyone else have a Trans Ck switch?

prarieschooner
05-27-2009, 09:25 PM
there is a section in the Owner's Manual that was posted by Micheal Day;
http://www.patrick-irish-wolfhound.com/fulltimersrv/images/NewellManual1992.pdf
Your question may be answered under Operatig Your DDEC Engine section 2

I have found the Manual to be very helpful even to my '82

folivier
06-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Got an email from Newell, the switch can be used to get fault codes from the transmission. Hold the switch and count the flashes for the code.
Similar to the fuel tach (which is not accurate! shows 5.8mpg but actually got 8.1) which is supposed to give the DDEC fault codes.

fulltiming
06-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Interesting Forest. I don't have either of those on my 1992. Do you know which model transmission you have? Do you have the Detroit Diesel 8V92?

encantotom
06-04-2009, 03:04 PM
yea, i have been under the impression that there are no electronic ties to the tranny from our DDECII. unless forest has a different tranny.

tom

folivier
06-04-2009, 04:59 PM
How do I tell what tranny I have? I have the 8v92
I have the shift pad on the left "armrest" with R,N,3,2,1 and another lighted pad next to R that I don't know what it is for. There is a digital readout above the steering wheel that has gear selected, and gear attained. (This is my first diesel so please forgive my ignorance)
This is the email from John Clark with Newell:
There should be an indicator light near the check trans switch. If the light comes on you can hold the switch and count the number of flashes to determine what the problem may be.
Forest

jdaniel
06-08-2009, 06:58 PM
My 1991 has the toggle switch next to the trans temp light.