PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Montana

jmacstack
06-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Hello to my new fellow Newell-ers! I recently purchased Walter and Judy Preston's, pristine 87' coach. They fell in love with a 94' and sold their 87' to me! I'm a lucky gal! I live between Missoula, Montana and Franconia, NH. I am in the huge and interesting process of learning all the "systems" on this beauty and appreciating all the information this forum has to offer. I hope to see you on the road or right here on this flat screen! Jennifer

chockwald
06-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Welcome, Jennifer! There is a lot to learn.....we just bought our '82 a little over a year ago, and we still feel like we are going thru the learning curve. This forum will be invaluable to you in learning everything about your coach. Think about joing a "few" of us in Creede, CO from August 3rd to 7th (see the post under "Newell Rallies and Group Gatherings"). We currently have 7 coaches (with their proud owners) registered. Congratulations on your purchase. Look forward to seeing pictures of your new baby. If there are already pictures in the Gallery section, let us know which one and we'll take a virtual tour!

Wally Arntzen
06-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi Jennifer, congratulations on your recent acquisiton. I have an 88 which is very similar to your 87 and most likely has most of the same stuff as far as equipment on it.
If something does not make sense don't hesitate to ask about it. Most of us on this link had the same learning situation of not knowing what many of the switches, pumps, guages, etc, were for and how they functioned.
Great to have you on board and happy travels.

Wally Arntzen

fulltiming
06-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Welcome Jennifer!! We always enjoy new members that are interested in reading and learning. Although systems and equipment varied from unit to unit, there are more similarities than differences between Newells. We will help out as we can. As you have seen from the posts by Wally and Clarke, there are owners of 80's model Newells that are ready to throw there experiences and knowledge into the fray to help out.

Enjoy your Newell and welcome aboard.

fulltiming
06-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Jennifer, one suggestion. You might add some information about your coach into your signature line that will help those of us who are forgetful remember what the year, engine and if you know the transmission you have in your coach. To add a signature that will automatically display with you post, click on Quick Links at the top, then scroll down to Edit Signature and click again. Clarke is a good example of an extremely helpful signature line.

prarieschooner
06-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Jennifer,
I am sure that you will love your Newell. This Forum will be a great help in understanding the Systems and Use of your Motor Coach.
Think about coming to Creede, CO in August to show off your '87.
Welcome Aboard.

tuga
06-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Jennifer,

Welcome to NewellClassic.com and congratulations on your '87 Newell.

My first Newell was an '87 40' w/tag axle. It was dark blue and silver with medium blue accents; boy, I loved that coach. The only reason I sold it was because I had trouble with the propane refrigerator. The frig wouldn't cool down below about 50 degrees in the summer. After 2 years of trying I gave up. But that vintage Newell is rock solid and there is nothing that sounds as good as an 8V92 at idle.

Michael has a good point about including year model, length, etc in your signature line. It really helps others to help you by knowing what your coach is. If you can please include your coach #. I looked up my '87 VIN and it is 1N9912 X86 H 10 1101 9. Michael can you help out here; what would be the coach number of my old '87? Certainly not 019! Could it be 101? I should have been paying more attention when you gave the presentation in Austin.

fulltiming
06-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Tuga, prior to 1990 the VIN did not include the coach number. It is likely that there are some panels in the coach or some paper work that would list a 3 digit number that would be the coach number for a coach built in 1983 or later. A 1987 model would likely be in that coach # range of 120-155.

prarieschooner
06-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Michael,
Any idea what Panels may have the Coach Number on them? I feel like an orphan out here with no Number for our '82.

fulltiming
06-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I believe that Brian (2Dogs) found the number 139 marked on the bottom of his engine bay doors. That sounds about right for a 1987.

Steve, since your coach was made prior to 1983, the 'new' numbering system was not in place and even if you could find a number, it would duplicate a number in the 'new' (1983 and later) system. I can tell you that in actual build numbers, you would be close to 384 as that is how many Newells were built before the 'new' numbering system was begun in 1983. The unfortunate issue is that coach #'s around 384 would let most people know that the coach was a 1995 model.

prarieschooner
06-07-2009, 04:08 PM
So that would mean if Clarke and I could find out our Numbers we could use Original #384 etc.?

fulltiming
06-07-2009, 04:22 PM
I don't see any reason you could not do that if there were any such numbers actually marked on coaches prior to 1983. It should be an interesting search. Just need a way to differentiate the number from the duplicate numbers that existed until mid 2007 when Newell skipped from 815 (next number would have been 816) to 1200 to make up for the missing 384 coaches built prior to 1983.

Let us know if you find any markings that might give a clue as to a sequence number.

prarieschooner
06-07-2009, 04:47 PM
on with the search! I found that our Coach was built for a John Law when working at the Entrance Door and Clarke has found that theirs was built for a Leonard Law. Our Numbers should be close but who knows.
Coach Number somewhere around 380- 1st Series

jmacstack
06-08-2009, 01:22 PM
My Coach is a 1987 3-axle. It is #103. It is mostly charcoal grey with blue and light blue-ish, silver stripes. It got a 8V92 Silver with just over 149k miles currently on it. That's going to be changing real soon as soon as I figure out the generator problem! It was built for Bud and Shirley Allen in 1987. I am the 3rd owner. It is obvious that all previous owners took immaculate care of this coach and I will be no different. I look for ward to meeting some of you and as soon as I can figure it out I will post some pictures!

Jennifer

Richard and Rhonda
06-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Jennifer,

Welcome to the group.

I do want to warn you guys, that I spoke with Jennifer on the phone, and she is one savvy gal when it comes to electrical and mechanical. So, I am looking forward to learning as much from her.

Would love to hear an update on the genny situation.

And if you can, come to Creede and hang out. It's not an intimidating crowd, and the conversation is a lot broader than Newell :-)

When you get a chance we would love to hear the story of how you came to own the coach, what made you decide on a Newell, what else you considered, what else you may have owned or used for travel.

2dogs
06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Tuga, This may help with your old coach number mine is #139 serial 1011017 so i bet yours was #141 Brian