PDA

View Full Version : Online Travel Map

prestadude
07-07-2009, 05:13 AM
This Thursday I will start a drive from California to Indiana to drop my Newell off for a handicapped conversion (I know it is a long way to drive but the company I have selected does quality and custom work fitting of a Newell). I started planning my route this evening using several online mapping services. The oneway trip is about 2,200 miles and I want to break that out into approximately 500 mile segments. Surprisingly, I can't find an online mapping tool that does that or anything close (cummulative mileage by city, etc.). I am about ready to go back to paper maps and a rolling mileage meter. Anyone come across a website with such features?

fulltiming
07-07-2009, 05:41 AM
You might try combining the mapping systems you are using with the City Distance Tool at Geobytes.com (http://www.geobytes.com/citydistancetool.htm) (geobytes.com/citydistancetool.htm). It isn't exact because it uses 'as the crow flies' distances' but it is better than nothing.

Most PC mapping programs don't provide that info unless you go through and add each major city in as a VIA or a STOP.

Richard and Rhonda
07-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Tim,

This isn't what you asked, but a bunch of us run this combo on a laptop. We run Microsoft Streets and Trips with GPS, and the VMSPc software that monitors the engine.

Easy to set up so that you see both at the same time. MS Streets is really easy to do exactly what you want to do, it has a feature that allows you to set the number of miles you want to drive in a day.

Good luck with the conversion.

fulltiming
07-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Sorry I forgot about the miles/day function since I rarely use that. On Street Atlas you can set a specific number of hours you want to drive each day and the program will put marks along the route when you will have traveled that long (under Route -> Plan). On Streets and Trips it is based on a start time and a completion time each day (under Route -> Route Options/Profile).

A graphical representation (although still based on a straight line rather than your actual route) is to put the route into Google Earth and use the ruler function. Click on the start point for the day and start extending a line basically along your route and the Ruler box will show the straight line distance from the beginning point. Google Earth is a free download and although it requires an internet connection is a great way to fly the route to see if the roads look suitable for your coach.

fulltiming
07-07-2009, 05:51 PM
....a bunch of us run this combo on a laptop. We run Microsoft Streets and Trips with GPS, and the VMSPc software that monitors the engine. ....

Richard is right. Now that you can get laptop computers so inexpensively, the combination of either MS Streets and Trips with GPS or Street Atlas with GPS AND VMSpc is a great tool. I don't think I would take a trip in my Newell without them.