PDA

View Full Version : Something local.....

chockwald
09-08-2009, 03:11 PM
We've only been home a few weeks from Creede, but the itch to be back on the road had to be satisfied again. By the time we decided we were going to take the Newell out again for the Labor Day weekend most parks along the Southern California coast (the only cool areas) were either booked solid, or had raised their rates to close to $100 per day. The other possiblity was the Big Bear Lake area, but the thought of SRO crowds killed that idea quickly!

About 2 months ago I had gone mountain biking with my local riding buddys up near Mt. Baldy (a local ski area at about 5,000' elevation). At the drop off point for our one way 20 mile ride I noticed a sign indicating an RV park had been built....we hadn't been here for several years, so this was something new. I mentioned this to Elaine and she suggested I take a drive up about 10 days ago to check it out. You have your choice of full hookups, water and electricity, or dry camping. We chose water and electricity for $27 per day (1/2 price for the first day when you stay the weekend). It is very rustic, and still a work in progress, but the views are great, and it is at almost 5,000', so the temps would be 10-15 degrees cooler than at our home, where daily highs had been around 102 for about 10 days, with very high humidity (something we're not used to in Southern California) due to the hurricane off the coast of Baja California.

Last Friday we headed up to Mt. Baldy RV Ranch for 4 days, and 3 nights. We had a great time! Due to the numerous wildfires in various stages of containment, many people with reservations did not show up due to their concern about the air quality. As it turned out we could see smoke in the distance to the east and west, but the air at our location was crystal clear. The "Ranch" is located about 21 miles from out home in the Angelus National
Forest. There are about 8 miles of 6-8% grades.....reminded me vaguely of Wolf Creek Pass!

Here are some pictures...the first is of the spot we chose between two trees, the second is the Newell in that spot, the third is of the distant "Station" fire that first evening, and the 4th is the entrance to the park.

folivier
09-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Glad you were able to find some place so close. We have a few nice campgrounds within a couple hours from home. We just need some cooler weather to enjoy them!

chockwald
09-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi Forest! That is the issue, isn't it? No point in going out camping if you have to spend all the time inside the coach in the A/C...LOL!! We could have driven up to the Eastern Sierra Nevada, but I was not into a long trip....just wanted to be where it was cool so I could spend a lot of time outside under the awning reading and enjoying the view, which is what we did!

zcasa
09-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Hey Clarke: Looks like a lot of fun and time well spent. Who was the Babe holding up your awning? lol. Thanks for posting the pictures. We are off in 11 days. We'll do our best to post some pictures as well.

David

chockwald
09-08-2009, 10:40 PM
As we get closer to "Spring" we'll start talking about a trip up the California coast and some bike riding with ya'll.....looking forward to some great fall pictures of the New England countryside!