PDA

View Full Version : Door latch/post bushing

blakestar
09-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Recently the door on our 1979 Newell wouldnt latch or close completely. Found that the bushing on the post (attached to the coach) had broke in half. Thankfully I still had the other half, used a pinch of super-glue to hold it on and it now latches completely (three kids in and out constantly).

Does anyone know of a part# or size of these bushings? Are they available from Newell or would a standard hardware store have a replacement?

chockwald
09-11-2009, 03:08 PM
You should be able to get both the post and bushing at Autozone. That's where I got my replacement, and where encantotom sent me. Very inexpensive.

encantotom
09-11-2009, 04:19 PM
i have given a number of them to my newell buddies here. autozone and checker sell them. they are in the misc car parts section where the door knobs, etc are. they are door latch striker plate bushings or something like that. they come in a pack of 4, with 2 long and 2 short ones. i think ours are the long ones. about 4 bucks for the lot of them.

you can buy a new strike bolt, but no need to. it uses a large torx to get it out. just screw it out and put the new bushing on. takes a minute or two on mine. ask clarke how long it took on his....

if i was home i would get you the part number. but they are easy to find. i was surprised they are common items. i mentioned to my son in law that mine was broken and he was gone a few minutes and showed up with them.

tom in shanghai

chockwald
09-11-2009, 04:51 PM
It should only take a few minutes, but then there is what I call "The Hockwald Way". It took me 3 hours in adjustments to get the door latch to close properly again....LOL!!!

doug86newell
07-27-2010, 05:06 PM
I have been living with this problem for a while now. Wend to Orileys and 15 minutes later problem fixed. I had to take a cut off wheel and remove the large washer on the striker. Other than that a very easy fix.

Doug