PDA

View Full Version : Cellular signal amplifiers

chockwald
09-14-2009, 02:43 PM
I have no doubt some of you have researched this topic. From time to time Elaine and I find ourselves in areas with weak signals, and just need a little boost in signal power. We both are still gainfully employed, and when we are on the road we still conduct business, but find our overnight options limited by cell phone coverage. Is anyone here using a signal amplifier, and if so, whose system are you using? Some of the ones I've looked at cost over $500 for an RV application.....that seems like a lot, but I guess if it works it would be worth it. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Wally Arntzen
09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi Clarke,
I don't know what phone and internet service you have. I have verizon and so far I have not been in an area that I was unable to get good reception for the phone or the computer.
That includes Quartsite, AZ in the desert. the back areas of Louisiana, the north woods of Minnesota, and a whole lot of other areas. I need it for my work and when Louisiana last year working the huricane all of the adjusters that any service other than verizon had to go to verizon because they could not get internet reception. I just have a verizon card that plugs into the side of the computer. I use an extension line to get it about 10' away.
Verizon costs 57.00 if you have their phone service and 67.00 if you phone service other than verizon.

chockwald
09-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi Wally....I have Verizon also, both for phone and an aircard for my computer. There are a few places we go where the signal is a little weak, and when Elaine does her weekly phone conferences that can last over an hour her calls get dropped after 10, 0r 15 minutes....such as Panamint Valley (in Death Valley National Monument) and recently at Mt. Baldy RV Ranch. Most other places we go we have no problem, but there are rare times when it would be nice to have a signal amplifier so she be online without interruption.

ABnormal
09-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Wally,

Here is a website that evaluates technologies:

http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-5_7-0.html?query=cell+phone+signal+booster&searchtype=products&tag=mncol;rbxcrb.2.a.4

I would think they are impartial in their analysis. When I was with Sprint, I used to view their product comparisons for information. They compared 30 different product for price and performance.

Larry P. in KC

express1
09-17-2009, 02:32 AM
Wally, what are the "Back areas of Louisiana"?:rolleyes:

Wally Arntzen
09-17-2009, 02:03 PM
I stayed at an RV park in Carancro, but I worked the Hurricane damage in Baton Rouge, Laffayete, and with 150 miles of both of those areas. I was certanily Cajon country and a lot of swampy areas. I met a lot of wonderful people who were in tough times with the storm damage and were happy to see an adjuster show up so they could back to rebuilding. My daughter was working with me for three weeks and we were doing a large home in Baton Rouge and the man and his wife were speaking with us and the man said the two great things about the area are great food and beautiful women and he was sure right. I got into some areas where it was difficult to understand the speaking of some of the real cajon people but we did a lot of sign language and laughing and got things figured out.

chockwald
09-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Wally, thank you very, very much for the link!