PDA

View Full Version : Electrical ? What is it and Why?

jwe648
09-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Still Pluggin away on my 74' project. Water tank and pumbing in & working.

So I started working thru the Battery system. The coach has 6 8D and 2 4D's, Two 2000w Inverters and another converter.

I messed up a bit when I just left the coach plugger into my 50amp service so.. I wiped out 2 8D & 2 4D battries.. My Bad....

When I tried to completely shut down the system (some Battery switiches) the inverters continued to blink and the fans ran. I had to disconnect all the - cables to get it all off.

So now to the question.. I'm sure I will have more. In my Mid Bay resides 2 of the 8D batteries and what appears to be a Battery disconnect and 3 little black boxes with wires to the switch.

The battery switch switches + current.. not sure what the little boxes are.

It appears that other batteries are also connected in the system.

I have a feeling that all the coach batteries are hooked together. Although I can disconnect the 2 8D engine battries with a switch in that bay. There seems to be enough 1/0 copper wire that I could retire on the sale of such...

Any way I have attached a couple of photos ... If you have any thoughts or awiring diagram ... that may clear the fog ...

Richard and Rhonda
09-28-2009, 01:54 AM
Jimmy,

I don't know what the black boxes in the first photo are. The blue box in the second photo is a standard one way battery isolator used on RV's. It allows the alternator to charge the house batteries and the chassis batteries at the same time, but it does not allow current from the chassis batteries into the house system to prevent you from killing your chassis batteries while boondocking.

I have seen them wired with the positive side, but who knows.

jwe648
09-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks .....

It appears that someone added two more 8D battries in th aft bay to the system. They may have hooked it up wrong? Not sure why one would need all the battries unless you need it for the household refer...

The system has a merge swith on the dash.. could the boxes be part of that?

encantotom
09-28-2009, 03:51 AM
howdy, i might try and trip up there some evening this week if you are game.

the two black boxes you refer to i dont think are related to your merge switch. the merge switch goes to continuous duty solenoid that does not look like them.

tom

jwe648
09-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Tom,
If we could meet Wed afternoon that would be great!
Jimmy