PDA

View Full Version : Valve stem question

folivier
10-26-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm having trouble finding shorter valve stems for my rear outer tires. The stems turn into the handhold and make it almost impossible to add air with my tire pressure monitors installed. So I want to change them to shorter stems. My local Michelin dealer can't find the correct type of stem. I called Alcoa and gave them the part # 983103 for the wheel and they didn't show that part number.
Does anyone have any ideas on where to get shorter stems?

urfreeman07@gmail.com
10-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Buy a double side air chuck. I purchased one this weekend for myself. It works great and you will not have to replace the stems.

folivier
10-26-2009, 11:52 PM
I have one, but can't use it with the tire pressure monitors.
I have to reach between the two tires in order to add air.

GORDON HUMMEL
10-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Might want to call these people
http://www.alltiresupply.com/cat/MFG_American_Automotive/158--1-.html

encantotom
10-27-2009, 04:47 AM
ok, here is what i did to mine. i know it is not conventional, but i like it and it works sooooo much easier.

for the rear outer tires, i had the reverse stems taken off and a very short straight one put in. that way i can easily put my tire pressure monitor on and it is easy to check and put in air.

yes, i know it makes it so i cant swap inner and outer tires, but i will never do that anyway.

thats my solution, and it was just a simple one at my truck tire shop.

in the picture, the stem is at 3 oclock.

tom

folivier
10-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks Tom, that's what I'm trying to do. But my Michelin dealer (Tire Center) can't seem to locate the correct stem! They say the hole is a different size. Any idea what size your hole is? :)

express1
10-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Forest, sounds like one of my projects....If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It is a pain to check pressure on those stems....
Whose system did you purchase?

chockwald
10-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Forest....I've still got a smile on my face after reading the last line of your post.....:>)

encantotom
10-27-2009, 03:05 PM
i told my truck tire guy what i wanted and he just did it.

i have the doran pressure pro tire montitoring system. works great

tom

folivier
10-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Matt, I'm using the Tire Safeguard system by Genco. They have "flow-through" sensors. Don't have to remove them to add air.
Tom, I remember you mentioning you changed your stems in Creede, but forgot to look at them.
John Clark with Newell is checking for me. I'll post what he finds.
Maybe I should look for a new tire dealer.

encantotom
10-28-2009, 01:56 AM
i guess i am suprised it is that hard to find valve stems. come down here and i will take you to my tire guy. in and out pretty fast.

and you can make us gumbo to pay for it

tom

zcasa
10-28-2009, 12:41 PM
I have the double sided air chuck like Allen has. It works easy and is reasonably convenient. Hey Matt, guess where we are??? Hint, newspaper delivered to Coach everyday and lot #337 facing the lake. Life is good.

express1
10-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Is that the place or what? Was I just dizzy from all the places we went or is that the greatest spot..... I think we were in 337 or 339. Did you ride to and on the beach?

zcasa
10-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Definitely a cool place, Matt. We have road bikes and have ridden them to the beach, but we will rent bikes tomorrow to ride on the beach. Looks like more fun than any two people should have. I ran 6 miles on the beach today and it was wonderful. We tried to get on Tripp Island too, but they said another guy tried that a few weeks ago and to get outtahere, or something to that affect. lol