PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Polish

afrench45
11-06-2009, 02:23 PM
After looking at pics of other Newells, I have decided my wheels need polished. I was wondering do most of you have them professionally polished or do you do them yourself? If so, what do you use? And another question, my wheels still leak oil, is there anyway to prevent that from messing up my polish. Newell has replaced the hub, but it still leaks sometimes. I have heard putting wax on my wheels would prevent it, but I didn't know if that would mess them up.
Thanks Andrew

encantotom
11-06-2009, 07:47 PM
entire discussion on this on the site.

http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1059

there are tons of things on here. just use the search link to look.

tom

Richard and Rhonda
11-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Which wheel is leaking? Drive or tag? Do you have any way of taking the hub cover off to see where it is leaking? Here is why I ask. It is possible that the leak is between the housing that holds the oil and the hub. It is also possible that the leak is from the rubber plug in the center of the housing.

You may have to clean up the hub and observe it for a few days to see where the leak originates. I know if I park mine on a side slope, the downside tag axle will leak a little.

Polishing the wheels will make them clean up better, but getting the hypoid oil from the hubs off is still a pain. You might want to look more carefully at what kind of wheels you have before you polish. If you have Alcoa with Durabrite finish, you can ruin the finish by polishing. Now, granted, the ones with the Durabrite finish will never be as shiny as a freshly polished wheel, but the finish does make it possible for them to look decent with just soap and water. If you do polish a Durabrite wheel, you are committed to polishing from now on because the polishing removes the protective finish.