PDA

View Full Version : Question About Tinting Double Pane Windows

Undecided
10-01-2006, 02:42 AM
Is there a problem with tinting the outside pane of a double pane window? If not, does anyone know of a product that will stand-up to the weather? The other posts on this subject indicate that tinting the inside pane causes problems so we will not do that. Have not found any statement on tinting the outside. The outside panes to be tinted [very dark] are the slide side window panes which are not under a window awning. Thank you for any information.

ben snyder
10-02-2006, 05:13 AM
Are your windows original or replacements. I don't think they offered double-pane windows in 1983. Someone from Newell Coach can correct me if I'm wrong. Do you have any tint at all or are your windows completely clear? I wasn't aware of any problems with tinting dual-pane? I am wondering if there is any difference between the type of glass on RV/vehicle's vs. home/commercial building dual-pane glass? I do know that there is a lot of buildings that have a tint film on them. Maybe it makes a difference on the type of film used? Just some additional thoughts on the matter.

Good Luck!

fulltiming
10-11-2006, 02:55 PM
The only problem with tinting the outside of a window is the increased likelihood that the film will be damaged. I have heard that applying tint to the inside of a dual pane window increases the potential for the glass to crack. While this 'might' be possible if metallic tint film was used, I would doubt that you would find a problem with non-metallic window tint film used on the inside of the window.