PDA

View Full Version : Hawking Dish

chockwald
12-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I was reading a couple of my favorite RV fulltime blogs recently and both of them, within a few days of each other, mentioned they had purchased a "Hawking Dish" to pump up weak WiFi signals. They both reported good results, so I went on Ebay, and what do you know, got one for about $20 off the retail of $80. My price included free shipping. I am sitting here in Jewell, OR using it to amplify the signal coming from the home of Elaine's friend, where we are courtesy parked. When I first set up I was getting a weak signal (1 out of 5 bars). After plugging in the Hawking Dish the signal went up to a 3, sometimes a 4.

Here is a link: http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=32&FamID=60&ProdID=386

I now use an HP Netbook, courtesy of Verizon, which has a built in "aircard" as well as built in WiFi. When I am connecting to my computer at my office via GoToMyPc I need a bigger screen to view both of the monitors on my office computer, so I have the Dell 20" LCD monitor pictured in the second picture.....works great! I did have to buy a special "mini" cable to connect the monitor to the Netbook. I have noticed that the Dell Netbooks have a regular monitor jack on them. The mini cable cost about $30. It has taken me a while to get used to the spacing of the keys on the smaller keyboard, and when I go back to my regular laptop the adjustment starts all over again. The advantage for me is the Netbook takes up 1/3 the space on my console. I use it primarily during the day for my Delorme GPS program when we are traveling from location to location, and then at night to surf the net, and to do business. Much more compact, and works much better with the fulltiming lifestyle I aspire to.