PDA

View Full Version : Rivets on awnings pulling out

folivier
12-19-2009, 02:54 PM
A few of the rivets on my window awnings are starting to pull out. Is there anyway to tighten them? I have a small hand rivet gun but think these probably were installed with an air operated gun since they are so much larger. I may just replace them with stainless sheet metal screws. Thoughts?

HoosierDaddy
12-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi Forest,
One of my friends used to own a small trucking company. They had one of those air powered rivet guns. We replaced a few rivets on my '78 a few years ago. It worked great. If you have a truck shop nearby you may find that they will replace those rivets at a reasonable cost. Maybe they will rent the gun to you and you can enjoy the satisfaction of doing it yourself!!
Dean

encantotom
12-19-2009, 04:34 PM
are you referring to the long channel attached to the coach that mounts the awning to the coach?

if you are, something to think about is this. the screws would in most places only be going into the aluminum skin. the rivets may hold better.

with a little wind, there is a lot of force on that channel.

or are you referring to the brackets for the arms?"

i know that when zip dee sends new pieces they come with rivets and not screws for what that is worth.

tom

folivier
12-19-2009, 04:46 PM
It's on the arms, and it's the small awnings not the main one. Yes I was thinking rivets may hold better, I'll try a truck shop- thanks Dean.

encantotom
12-19-2009, 05:03 PM
after seeing wally's rivet guns, i had to do some of the same. i have the marson small hand rivet gun and then i have one that is identical to the marson big daddy rivet gun. it is a very large hand one that i got a knock off of. do a google search on them. i carry them in the coach with rivets.

tom

Wally Arntzen
12-20-2009, 05:13 AM
I have the good Big Daddy and it works great. You can use aluminum, steel or stainless steel rivets and they pull very tight. I don't recall what I paid for it but it is a great tool. After every trip I check the exterior of the coach for rivet pops and replace them right away with the larger rivets.
This would be the right tool to replace the rivets on the awning that is being discussed.

folivier
12-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Wow never knew there were so many different types of rivets!
They are 3/16", 1/2" long (which seems too short- may be why they are pulling out?)
I guess they are blind? aluminum? steel or aluminum mandrel?
Help!!

Wally Arntzen
12-20-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't know what your riveting but if your using the 3/16" rivets you make sure you are going 1/4" beyond the thickness of all the materials you drill through so the end of the rivet can spread enough to give a strong grab on the back side of the total of your metals.
If you are having a difficult time getting rivets go to a wholesale nut and bolt supply company and they should have a supply of pot rivets of all sizes and lengths.
I have some rivets that are over 1" in length.

folivier
12-20-2009, 08:42 PM
These are for the arms of the zipdee window awnings. They are 3/16" diameter, 1/2" long, with a 7/16" head. They are not magnetic so are probably aluminum with alum. mandrel. The arm piece and gasket look to be just under 1/2" so these are probably too short. I'll look for 3/4" long rivets.

Wally Arntzen
12-21-2009, 04:11 AM
I used aluminum on mine. You can use stainless steel if you wish because you are fastening into the steel wall support chanel. Don't use plain steel because they will fail in time and leave rust stains on the exterior of the coach.

HoosierDaddy
12-21-2009, 03:13 PM
This is where I got the tool for the solid rivets that I used to repair my door. They have all kinds of rivets and tools. Very courteous and knowledgeble. Fast shipping too.

http://www.bylerrivet.com/

Dean

Hammer
03-06-2010, 02:46 AM
I get all my rivets here. I would recommend a rivet called tri-grip
http://www.hansonrivet.com/w36.htm great for aluminum and fiberglass plastics and other brittle and soft materials. Hope it helps