PDA

View Full Version : Tire Information Please

Summersgal
01-21-2010, 03:38 AM
Needing information on purchasing new tires. Was wondering where most of you buy your new tires at? Do you buy them from a local tire dealer, truck stop or where? And what brand, size have you been using? How many miles are you getting out of them before they need replacing again? Pros and Cons greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pam

encantotom
01-21-2010, 04:51 AM
there are several discussions on tires here on this site. you can do a search on tires to find them. here is one of them.

http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1251&highlight=11r24.5

tire discussions are very always fun as everyone has their own opinions.

i go to a local truck tire shop and deal with a guy i trust. he talked me out of buying the more expensive michelins and i bought Continental. my tires are great and are smooth riding. as for wear, i suspect you will never wear them out as they will age out before wear out.

later

tom

Wally Arntzen
01-21-2010, 05:12 AM
I use Michelins and get them at a truck tire supplier. I am told that they should go for 100,000 miles but I agree with Tom that they will age out before we wear them out if we change them as we should.
Prices are different with different brands and I really don't know what makes one better or worse than another.

Summersgal
01-21-2010, 11:24 AM
When you get the tires, who usually changes them? The place you buy them from or do you have to take it some where else for changing? Or do you take it to Newell and have them do it? They are only 1.5 hrs from us.

Thanks
Pam

zcasa
01-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi Pam:

I have purchased our tires from major truck tire shops. I bid them with different shops and then go with the one that I feel best about. My view is that it is better to have them mounted and balanced by the same shop that you purchase them from. For instance, I was able to get four of the six balanced at no additional charge. Be prepared that when they get the lug nuts off and check around, you might have to do some maintenance by replacing some at that time. They were very thorough and showed me any parts that were running marginally and could be a future problem. I think it pays to go to the pros and do it all at once. Newell recommends three years on the front and five on the back for tires. As previously stated, most of us do not put enough miles on our coaches to wear out the tread on the tires. Because of that, the tire shop that I used, I think it was like a GNC type name and has locations in many places in the nation, gave me $100 for each tire. There are many a truck, whether it be local delivery or whatever, that can use our tires and wear them out long after we won't or definitely shouldn't be driving on them.

Have a good day.

David

tuga
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
When you get the tires, who usually changes them? The place you buy them from or do you have to take it some where else for changing? Or do you take it to Newell and have them do it? They are only 1.5 hrs from us.

Thanks
Pam

Pam,

I have heard from a friend that Newell will sell you tires directly and at a pretty good price. You might want to at least get a quote from them.

Since you are only 1.5 hours away you just might save some $$$$$

Richard and Rhonda
01-21-2010, 09:58 PM
I would buy and mount at the same place. Avoids fingerpointing if something is amiss.

Let's talk about balance for a second. You are going to be asked this when you buy the tires. Most of the time truck tires do not require balancing. If you have some vibration, the first thing to check is the vertical runout of the tire. If it is over 0.040 thousandths, have the shop deflate and rotate the tire on the rim. That usually remedies the issues. The inflation deflation inflation cycle seems to center the tire on the rim. In fact Michelin recommends that as standard procedure, but no shop actually does it.

If you do need balance. Some shops have the equipment to spin balance and tape weights on the rim just like car tires. Some shops even have the equipment to spin balance while the tire is mounted on the coach.

Others will put Equal or Dynabeads inside the tire. That method works too and rebalances the tire continously. Don't fall for the hype about water and clumping. If you choose this method INSIST that the correct valve cores are installed or the beads can jam the core and cause the tire to lose air.

The fanciest version of the continous balance is Centramatic or Balance Masters. They both are devices that mount to the rim behind the tire and continously balance.

All three methods work. I happen to like the beads the best. Cost is about the same for beads or machine balance, the Centramatics are around a hundred fifty a pair.

I have Bridgestones right now and I have been happy with them. I have had Michelins on another coach and was happy with them. I will probably buy Michelin next time cause I love the French, NOT !!!! , but because my sister is a customer service rep for them.

encantotom
01-21-2010, 10:50 PM
i would always buy and mount/balance from the same place. i like having a place that i can go to or a guy i can call if i have any problems. besides, if you bought them separately, they weigh 130 pounds apiece...and you would have to get 1/2 ton of tires to the place.

these are commodity size tires that trucks use. i have a hard time believing driving to newell would be cost effective, but who knows.

i had my tires spin balances with the stick on weights and they are smooth riding.

tom