PDA

View Full Version : Kwikee step

afrench45
03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
When I purchased my coach, the entry step had no movement and was sturdy. The more I use my coach, the more loose and the more play my step gets. Is there any adjustment to tighten it?

express1
03-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Mine is a two step unit.... I had the gear on the motor strip. They once sold a repair kit.
No longer, you must purchase the entire drive unit. $250..
Unless its the bolts that attach it to the doorway I don't think the rivets can be tightened.
Chuck know the part number @ Newell.

fulltiming
03-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Kwikee makes a reasonably sturdy step but if it isn't lubed and sits for long periods, it starts hanging and can start grinding at the joints. Also, if the design load is exceeded, like big guys carrying heavy loads in and out, it does start flexing the metal near the joints and the step gets feeling loose.

Have you been able to crawl under enough to see where it may be flexing? Likely a replacement is the only way to solve the problem unless you have loose bolts under the steps that secure it to the chassis.

Richard and Rhonda
03-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Mine had some give to it when I first bought the coach. A little inspection revealed that there were only a few screws mounting the step to the coach. And none at the corners of the mounting plate.

A few minutes with some self tapping metal screws and the battery drill with nut driver, and it has wiggled since.

Check how it's mounted to the coach. Have someone stand on it and look for movement of the mounting plate relative to the coach. Or movement in the pivots of the step. Got to figure out where the play is before replacing anything.

express1
07-27-2010, 11:20 PM
taking my coach for oil change today and the step kept going in and out.
I checked the door and contact button but not help. It just goes in and out at different times going down the road?:o
any ideas?

rheavn
07-28-2010, 12:57 AM
First I would check the ground. If the ground is good it sounds like the door switch is either losing contact as you go down the road(adjustable?) or the switch is going bad.

A place to start....................

prairieschooner
07-28-2010, 01:59 AM
maybe you need more than an oil change?

express1
07-29-2010, 01:31 AM
Bad switch, replaced all is well.......
39.95 nice chrome button.....:thumbsup: