PDA

View Full Version : I hate microsoft!

folivier
03-06-2010, 02:07 PM
I was using Streets & Trips 2009, but on our Creede trip last summer my laptop crashed (blue screen). Had S&T and VMSPC running. When I rebooted S&T gave me a licensing initialization error #0xC004D301 and wouldn't run. I un- then re-installed and still wouldn't work. Tried troubleshooting per MS recommendations, no go. Yesterday I formatted my laptop and re-installed WinXP, then installed S&T. Still giving me that darn error and won't run!
Any thoughts?

Richard and Rhonda
03-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Run Chkdsk under DOS and make sure the hard drive is not kaput.

folivier
03-06-2010, 03:30 PM
chkdsk shows no bad sectors. I did a high level format when I re-did XP. Makes me wonder if the S&T cd could be bad? Or microsoft won't let me register it properly (yes I did buy a new copy)

afrench45
03-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Buy a Mac. I'm not sure if your software will run on one, but I never have trouble with any of mine.

encantotom
03-06-2010, 07:55 PM
this is a microsoft problem. if you look here, you will see that a zillion people with S&T have the same issue.

there is a patch from microsoft to fix it, but evidently you have to get it from them and it is time sensitive.

it is an attempt from microsoft to catch illegal pirated copies. if you have a valid copy, you can call microsoft and they will help you install the patch that is required. that seems to fix it for most everyone.

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/microsoft-streets-trips/938-streets-trips-2009-licensing-initialization-error-3.html

tom

chockwald
03-06-2010, 08:30 PM
You da man, Tom!

folivier
03-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Just spent 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft. Their patch kept crashing my computer! They said they will research the problem and contact me in a couple days. This is gonna be fun!

folivier
03-30-2010, 02:49 AM
Update: Microsoft's patch kept crashing my laptop. The tech was very polite trying to resolve this over quite a few phone calls. But it never would work. I ended up using another laptop and it works fine. Not happy that their own product would never work on their own operating system!

prairieschooner
03-30-2010, 02:34 PM
I have a slighly used copy of Streets and Trips 2009 that I would like to get rid of. I think that I will just get a GPS.

folivier
03-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Steve, I recently bought a Magellan 1700 with a 7" screen. Really nice for my old eyes. Like the S&T for planning and finding stuff. You can also load Copilot Truck Navigation onto the 1700 (though I haven't bought it yet). The combo is a little cheaper than the Garmin 465T which has a smaller screen.

prairieschooner
03-31-2010, 03:44 AM
I'll look at that Magellan 1700, I hope that Magellan learned their lesson with the Y2K problem.
In the mean time I am wanting some of Cindy's Gumbo!!! I have to use the Trips part to see what the Fuel will cost to come and get some.