PDA

View Full Version : Fumoto valve?

folivier
03-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Those of you that do your own oil changes, do you use a Fumoto valve http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=T202
Seems like it would make the process much easier since you can stop the flow to use smaller containers?

tuga
03-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Forest,

There is an oil changing business in Houma on Grand Calliou Road, Pennzoil Quick Lube I think is the name. They will change your oil FREE - no labor! Just bring your new oil and the filters and they will change it at no charge, and they dispose of the old oil for you.

They used to charge $45 labor if you brought your own oil and filters. That's where I have mine changed. Your can't beat the price. However, they don't grease or check anything. You will have to do that yourself; but you won't have 10 gallons of oil to dispose of either.

Not a bad deal.

Richard and Rhonda
03-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Forrest,

I bought one, but will wait until the next oil change to install. It's a solid piece of engineering. I got it for exactly the reason you mentioned. It's hard to get a 10 gallon container under the coach without an engine.

On the other hand, if I had access to Tuga's setup, that would be the ticket.

Wally Arntzen
03-25-2010, 02:17 AM
I bought a porta dump at camping world that I got on sale for 25.00 and it works prefect. You drain it into the flat blue cantainer which is on wheels and pull out after you put the plug back on the pan and put on the cover. It can be rolled and lifted into a vehicle and brought somewhere to be desposed of. No muss no fuss and you don't need any special tools.
Thats my 2 cents worth and i'm sticking with it.

folivier
05-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Hey Richard, if this guy can do it this way I know you can.
Posted on Rv.net:
"Today I installed a Fumoto valve on my CAT engine. THis is about the seventh time I've installed a Fumoto valve and I wanted to give the RV.NET readers the benefit of my experience.

This is easily done without draining the oil by drawing a vacuun on the pan by applying a vacuum cleaner to the oil fill. You may also have to stuff the crankcase slobber tube with a rag to get a good suction. Then, with the vacuum cleaner running, remover the old plug and install the Fumoto. Shut off and remove the vacuum cleaner and be sure to remove the rag in the slobber tube. The above has all been said before.

Here is my pwersonal tip that makes this work. MAKE SURE THE VACUUM HOSE IS PLUGGED INTO THE VACUUM SIDE OF THE CLEANER. IF...YOU PLUG IT INTO THE BLOWER SIDE OF THE CLEANER IT WILL MAKE QUITE A MESS WHEN YOU REMOVE THE PLUG.

Please dont embarrass me by asking how I know.

Paul "