PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the AJ Foyt coaches?

Neweller
05-13-2010, 01:03 AM
I was looking through the main gallery today and pondering thoughts of the '73 Newell owned by AJ Foyt. I realize he has owned several Newell's over the years including one that was a real one of a kind (or ahead of its time, but then again aren't all Newell's). I would sure like to know if this '73 is still around and if so, who may know about it or the current owner. It is/was a sweet looking coach. I like the way they trimmed out the front and the mirrors etc.

Hey Jimmy, there is another option for you?

Happy Newelling All,
Ken W.

fulltiming
05-13-2010, 11:25 AM
I know the owners of some of the Unser coaches but don't have any leads on the Foyt coaches.

Neweller
05-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Michael, you might know or have met the folks of I think it was a dark blue coach built in the 80's I believe. It had the roof raised and smooth sides prior to the factory going in that direction on all coaches. Was that Unser's or Foyt's coach? I remember drooling over that Newell. lol

Would it be cool to maybe reference some of the racer owned coaches in a special area? I was thinking someone posted a while back or mentioned the idea of having a dedication page to racers and their coaches.

Ken W.

larryweikart
05-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Ken: That may have been my suggestion. As we travel from track to track, I see a lot of Newells and have often thought of taking pictures. Somehow the idea was lost in the shuffle. Last year Dario Franchitti's Newell was stuck axle deep in the mud at Road Atlanta. It was quite interesting on how they removed it with no apparent damage. I just never knew where to post any pictures so I stopped taking them.

larryweikart
05-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Ken: further on that subject, as you may know, our coach was designed and owned by Felix Sabates. On our first Nascar race, Rat, who drives and takes care of his Newells, came up to me and made sure I was keeping it polished. Rat is a die-hard Newell lover and would never drive any other brand!

Neweller
05-15-2010, 05:04 AM
Fantastic Larry! Don't quit taking pictures. Lets stay on this. What an awesome idea.

Anyone wanting to help in this area, is more than welcome to. Just let me know by private message and we can get dialog going.

Ken W.
NC Admin