PDA

View Full Version : Hooking Garmin GPS to LCD tv

rheavn
06-01-2010, 05:52 PM
I have an 8" LCD tv that is mounted in the driver's area. Does Garmin make a gps that has a video out connection so I could monitor the gps on the LCD screen? I know I can accomplish the connection with the LCD screen using a computer, but I was hoping to avoid that.

Thanks in advance..................

Richard and Rhonda
06-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Steve,

A lot of us run Microsoft Streets and Trips on a laptop. We also run VMSPc software from Silverleaf to monitor the engine. It is easy to split the screens sot get both. Also easy to go from the laptop to the overhead TV. Just an option.

prairieschooner
06-02-2010, 02:16 AM
I tried Microsoft Streets and Trips and it is horrible, sorry Richard.
Before I would spend 5 cents on this I would do a search of this forum and a Google search. I have found that product to be finicky.
Most likely I will be purchasing a GARMIN product now.

HoosierDaddy
06-02-2010, 12:35 PM
I have both Garmin and Streets and Trips...Both have worked well for me. S&T is better for planning the trip and reviewing/modifying the planned route. I had some problems finding satellites on dark rainy nights when I really needed it. That could be improved with better antennae placement.
The Garmin is very user friendly but seems to get confused easier in the city. Usually I plan my trip with S&T at my desk and rely on the Garmin for the on-road guidance being mindful of any discrepancies between the two.

Richard and Rhonda
06-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Steve,

Not disputing your experience with S&T, but it has been problem free for me. I also like the ability to play with the routing at home for fine tuning. I also like the big screen on the laptop for old eyes.

I think Forrest had some S&T issue also where it was not compatible with his laptop.

I have a high end Pioneer AVIC system in the coach with complete NAV system. It is a PITA to use and read. So it's basically a 2500 dollar radio. It was installed by a previous owner, but it isn't friendly to me. I have read the manual, and it has more bells and whistles than you can possibly use.

This really is a case of many different solutions that will all work if you take the time to learn the systems.

Now for the make fun of Richard back story. Rhonda takes perverse fun at my efforts to get the GPS, VMSPc, and the odometer on the electronic speedometer to read the exact same mileage. I am still calibrating. Of course, I am trying to get it to .1 miles in 100 miles agreement. She laughs cause it keeps the anal engineer busy and out of trouble.

jwe648
06-03-2010, 04:11 AM
Does ay one have experiance with the pro truck driver GPS the figure in length & Weight + hight ..

one example: http://www.cobra.com/products//professional-driver-navigation has an auto mode also...

express1
06-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Richard , I also like S&T but I need two hands to speed use..... and I also loose sats in rough weather. I do use Garmin 850 with hands free voice commands but Connie doesn't like me screeming during the night hours of driving.......

express1
06-03-2010, 08:25 PM
I also use a netbook to split screen with vms but really small for bad eyes.

prairieschooner
06-04-2010, 01:25 AM
still not happy with S&T anyone want to buy it at a discounted rate, send me a pm and we can talk.

express1
06-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Steve how much for the 1970 version?:o

prairieschooner
06-04-2010, 05:09 PM
for you, a bowl of Cindy's Gumbo that is unless there is a better offer.

rheavn
06-28-2010, 05:43 PM
I spoke with Garmin regarding my question. There is no Garmin gps with its own screen that has a video out connection that would allow connection to a LCD tv. There is a hardwired system that is available through a Garmin installer that could be hooked to a LCD tv. With the hardwired system I would have to buy and mount a second screen so the wife could monitor. It would not afford me the portability I am wanting.