PDA

View Full Version : Santa Fe, NM in the Fall

chockwald
06-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Thought I would start a separate thread from Matt's "Trippin' soon" thread on the proposed mini-rally in Santa Fe, NM this Fall in early to mid October looks best for us right now. Here are the people who have expressed an interest so far:

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
Michael and George Day
David and Denise Zonker
Forest and Cindy Olivier

Please chime in if you are interested, or committed to meeting in Santa Fe, NM in early to mid October this year......

prairieschooner
06-11-2010, 07:15 PM
is Cindy bringing her Gumbo? I need a Gumbo fix.

chockwald
06-11-2010, 07:34 PM
If Cindy brings Gumbo I think we'll get a dozen coaches........

folivier
06-11-2010, 11:23 PM
We'll bring gumbo but I'm afraid it won't be shrimp:mad:

prairieschooner
06-12-2010, 12:53 AM
do I need to bring the shrimp?

prairieschooner
06-12-2010, 12:56 AM
maybe we should move this to the Newell Rallies and Group Gatherings Section?

Fulltiming: Done!!

prairieschooner
06-12-2010, 12:59 AM
I'll bring some Shrimp if Cindy will make Gumbo.

saving$$$ for Fuel starting today.:thumbup:

folivier
06-12-2010, 02:30 AM
Sounds good, you peel em, we'll cook em!
I don't mind cooking the gumbo there if yall want to learn real cajun cookin'. Not that fake stuff either, cher!

chockwald
06-12-2010, 04:33 AM
David Z (zcasa) says we need to make reservations soon to be sure we get spots.....it's only 4 months away. How about arriving October 17th (Sunday)? I was going to say the 10th, but that week is blocked out...I think they have a rally there that week. At any rate, I have requested a reservation beginning the 17th (Sunday).

jmacstack
06-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Maren and I would love to join you all but October is a bit late for us up here in Montana. We put the coach in winter storage in October. Winter showed up here last year early. October 17th it was below zero here and all the leaves on the trees froze and never fell off the trees! Sounds like a wait and see what the weather is going to do won't work for reservation reasons. I think we will have to opt out of another, to be great mini-rally.
Jennifer

prairieschooner
06-12-2010, 02:12 PM
This may be a good excuse to spend the winter in your coach. We are thinking of going to Mexico after the rally unless work gets in the way.

chockwald
06-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Jennifer, might be a good excuse to get out of the Montana C-O-L-D for a week!

I made my reservation last night at Santa Fe Skies RV Park for October 17th to 22nd, and received my confirmation this morning. David and Denise have also confirmed they will be there, albeit sans Newell.

David recommends sites in the "Z" row. I'm in Z-1. He says Z-2 is also a great site!

prairieschooner
06-12-2010, 03:59 PM
I am with you on the weather Jennifer, this may be late in the season. The good part about this time is that the kids should be in school by now. I have all of my LPG Heaters repaired now so we should be OK but we are also wanting to go to Mexico again about the same time.
Clarke, the reason that the place is booked before this is the Balloon Fiesta;
http://www.balloonfiesta.com/
too bad that would be fun to see, reportedly 550 Balloons last year.

I thought that this discussion should have a link to the RV Park that is being discussed, here is what Ron Skeen posted in a previous discussion;

The full name of the park is ; Santa Fe Skies RV Park www.santafeskiesrvpark.com (http://www.santafeskiesrvpark.com/)
14 Brown Castle Ranch
Santa Fe, NM 87508-1302, United States
(505) 473-5946. We have been stopping there for the last 7 years at least once and sometime twice each year. The rate has always been reasonable and they do give discount for Good Sam or FMCA Memberships. It is usually pleasant in any month you go.

Neweller
06-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Here's another link of things going on in that area, that I found in a local paper up our way.

http://www.examiner.com/x-20914-Santa-Fe-Insider-Travel-Examiner~y2010m1d5-Whats-happening-in-Santa-Fe-10-reasons-to-travel-to-The-City-Different-in-2010

Steve is right on the balloon fiesta. They moved the dates according to this article.

Ken

chockwald
06-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks, Ken......I'm checking to see if it is possible to check in the 10th (the last day of the Balloon Festival), or the 11th (Monday), and move up one week. Originally the 10th was blocked out, but I'm sure it's because it's the last day of the festival.

chockwald
06-13-2010, 05:16 PM
I have officially changed my dates to the 10th thru the 15th. I am in Z1 and Forest is in Z2....10/10/2010 to 10/15/2010.

prairieschooner
06-14-2010, 12:27 AM
Someone else will need to bring the Shrimp. We had already made plans for that week, it was going to be close for us anyway. We'll look for the postings of the Rally on the Funny Pages.

chockwald
06-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Forest, here is a picrure (from Google Earth) of our sites at Santa Fe RV Park (Z1 and Z2). According to Google Earth this picture was taken in 2005, so that is around 5 years old, obviously. Google Earth is really a very slick tool, but in some ways it's also a little creepy that they seem to be everywhere taking pictures. Has anyone ever seen their vehicle taking the pictures?

Also, here is a picture of our view of the mountains David said makes these spots so great, and a copy of the park map. We are right near the laundry according to the map.

rheavn
06-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Suzy & I would sure like to join the group in Santa Fe. Unfortunately we have a prior commitment that may not allow us to do so. Still trying to juggle our schedule.

Sounds like a good time................

chockwald
06-22-2010, 06:59 PM
My good friend, Claude, with the 1984 1/2 Bluebird has also made a reservation for the 10th at Santa Fe Skies. Including David and Denise that gives us four couples so far. If anyone else has signed up let me know!

zcasa
06-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Awesome, Clarke. Please let Claude know, that Bluebird owners always sponsor all Happy Hours during our mini rallies. lol.

chockwald
06-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Awesome, Clarke. Please let Claude know, that Bluebird owners always sponsor all Happy Hours during our mini rallies. lol.

Will do! Haha!

folivier
08-05-2010, 01:39 PM
This might be a fun time while in Santa Fe. There is a round trip and also a night train with a dinner and murder mystery! Train leaves from Chama or Antonito, NM and either is about a hundred miles from Santa Fe.
http://www.cumbrestoltec.com/

chockwald
08-05-2010, 02:43 PM
I went to the website, but am not sure how long the train ride is. A 200 mile roundtrip drive on secondary roads may be about 4 hours of driving, plus the train ride. Sounds very interesting, but would like more information.

chockwald
08-05-2010, 02:48 PM
The Fall Foliage Rocky Mountain tour sounds doable....leaves at 11am from Chama and returns to Chama at 3pm....would be an all day adventure. Don't see any scheduled after October 9th though. Their home page says the tours go through 10/17.

chockwald
08-18-2010, 09:44 PM
OK, so here is our itinerary.....we'll probably leave Friday night (10/8) around 9pm and go as far as Kingman, AZ that night....we'll park at the Cracker Barrel, get a few hours sleep, then get a bite to eat before hitting the road again around 8am. We'll (Saturday - 10/9) drive to Gallup, NM where we'll overnight again at USA RV Park (very nice, clean park right off the Interstate), where we've stayed a couple of times before. That will leave 199 miles to Santa Fe, which will make Sunday (10/10) a short drive day. Hoping to arrive in Santa Fe around Noon time. Starting to get excited about the trip. We'll be pulling the car hauler with the T-Bird inside for the first time.

folivier
08-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Just looked at routes. If Cindy can get off at noon, we'll plan to stop somewhere around Tyler, Tx. Maybe stay at one of the nice rest stops. Then drive past Amarillo, maybe stop around Vega, Tx. That should put us about 3-4 hours to Santa Fe on Sunday.
Can't wait.

chockwald
09-11-2010, 06:09 AM
Exactly one month until we are on our way to Santa Fe.......

folivier
09-17-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm thinking of making a gumbo one morning while in Santa Fe. Usually takes about 2-3 hours. If anyone wants to see how a traditional gumbo is made please come by and watch, or help.
How many people do we have coming that week so I can figure out how much to make?

chockwald
09-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Right now it our two coaches, David and Denise, and hopefully my brother-in-law and his wife.

chockwald
09-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Was reading a blurb on RV.net the other day about taking New Mexico 14 up to Santa Fe from just east of Albuquerque instead of I-25. They say it is more scenic, and it is apparently called the Turquoise Trail. Anyone driven this route before? I guess it's 13 miles longer, but that's not a big deal to me.....I like driving secondary roads, but don't want to take a route that is a tough drive in a 36' coach.

Ron Skeen
09-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Hi Clarke,

I have riden 14 numerous time on my Goldwing and it is a nice drive. It takes you right through Madrid which is were some of the movie Wild Hogs was flimed. I have never had my coach that way but don't think you would have any problems. You come out right at the Santa Fe Ski Park. I usally go in on 285 when coming in from the east. They are a lot of nice drives around the area. Wish I could be there. Have a great time and enjoyed the area.

chockwald
09-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Thanks Ron....good information! I noticed on the map that it does come out right by the park.....

Richard and Rhonda
09-30-2010, 11:36 PM
LOL at the "tough drive in a 36er" I envy the short wheelbase in situations like that.

I think the RV folks have the slide out thing all wrong. The device should open lengthwise when you get to your destination. Just kidding, I know there are a million reasons that won't work.

chockwald
10-01-2010, 12:47 AM
I thought I would draw a response from one of the 40+ foot owners.....actually, I have driven PCH from Monterey to Cambria in the Newell.....36' is just the right length...lol. I don't think there is much that would be harder than that, but I actually enjoyed it as long as we took a break every 10 miles, or so.

chockwald
10-06-2010, 02:10 PM
I was getting concerned about the weather forecasts for Santa Fe....just this past Monday the forecast was for rain Monday thru Thursday.....now it shows possible thunder storms (40% chance) on Tuesday, and rain (50% chance) on Thursday....looking much better!

encantotom
10-06-2010, 03:15 PM
i just got home last nite from salt lake city in the newell. it rained for all but an hour of the trip home .....sometimes so hard i could hardly see with high crosswinds. i did find out where some little leaks are.....

and the rain was blowing horizontal so it even seeped through one of the new sliding windows over the couch. not around the edges but through where the felt seals the slider to the fixed pane.

thankfully the entire week of being there was no rain.

tom

chockwald
10-06-2010, 08:45 PM
The forecast shows good weather for us all three days we will be on the road starting Friday.....right now. Raining cats and dogs here in So. Cal......

express1
10-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Connie and I left Reno just after a hail storm....Headed east to Park City, UT. Had a drizzle most of the way. We stopped at a truck wash and they did a great job on our coach and tow for like 50 bucks... Now staying @ Park City RV Resort.
Seems to be a great time to be here. We saw Diane Keeton filming a movie downtown. All shops open but no crowds......we shop, walk, shop, eat, shop, drink, drink, drink sleep:thumbsup:This is a great town much like Breckenridge.
All is well.
THANKS AGAIN NEWELL!

chockwald
10-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Cool Matt.......you are my idol....11 months until we join you on the road! Where are you headed on this trip installment?

chockwald
10-09-2010, 06:44 PM
We finally left home at 9pm last night (Friday)......stopped briefly in Barstow to check trailer and to be sure the T-Bird was still secure, and it was, thankfully! Our next break was in Needles, and we took the first exit parking on the street next to a Carl's Jr.....did a walk around checking tire temps, and all 10 were just fine. After walking a couple of laps around the coach we decided to pound out the last hour to Kingman, AZ where our plan was to sleep a few hours next to the Cracker Barrel Restaurant. I turned the key to turn over the DD and a brief...."errrr", and then silence. I turned the key again, and silence....hmmmmm? That's what I get for telling Elaine just before we got off the Interstate how nice the coach was running. After fiddling around the rear panel for 15 minutes unsuccessfully I gave in and put in a call to Good Sam ERS......mind you it was 1:45am.....they located a 24 hour service in Bullhead City and called me back around 2am to say he would be there in about an hour. Thomas arrived around 3am, and began the trouble shooting....my theory was it was something to do with the starter as all 4 batteries were fine. He crawled under coach and checked the trigger wire for power and only got a reading of 3 volts.....not nearly enough even tickle that big starter. Anyway, the short version is the trigger wire must have shorted, so he ran a new one, and it cranked right up....we rolled out of Needles around 4 am and arrived in Kingman at 5am....got 2.5 hours of sleep (the sun was up, and I can't sleep with the sun out), so we got up had breakfast at the Cracker Barrel, and hit the road around 8:30am...we are now in Flagstaff (11:45am) with about 187 miles to Gallup, NM where we will spend the night. All is well in my Newell kingdom. Wish you guys were here......

encantotom
10-09-2010, 11:29 PM
hi clarke, glad you got it fixed. i wish i was on the road with you. you could have paid me rather than good sam.....ha

i spent a couple of hours at jimmy's house today. he gave me a white newell cap.....i have not taken it off since then.

he tried to give me all the things in his garage he didnt want and i almost took them! then i realized i had more stuff than he did and i didnt need his too....

thanks jimmy for the cap!

clarke....safe travels.

if you can go through phoenix on the way home stop by and see us. we dont leave till the 20th.

tom

folivier
10-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Left yesterday at noon:20, got to Baton Rouge and had to detour around an 18 wheeler hanging off of the approach to I-10 ( about 100 feet off the ground, found out the trailer later fell). His load was scattered along the approach ramps below him. Major jam!
Got into Tyler, Tx around 9:30pm. Thought we would spend the night at a roadside park. Never again. I heard every car and truck pass. My tire alarm started going off, figured I had a flat. Nope found out that the sensor was bad. Of course that didn't help me sleep . Pulled out at 4am, got through Dallas ok. Made quite a few stops just to keep awake. (Cindy really needs to learn to drive!)
Had a nice, tiring drive to Amarillo. Ate a great steak at Big Texan. Sitting outside at the Oasis RV park just west of Amarillo. Should have a 5 hour drive tomorrow.
Decided it was not a good idea to drum my fingers on the armrest. Managed to turn off my headlights. Major wake-up call trying to find the right switch as I panic stopped on the shoulder! Mind doesn't work as quick as usual when I'm exhausted. Tomorrow will be a relaxing drive into Santa Fe, if that dumba** behind the wheel doesn't do anything else stupid.

encantotom
10-10-2010, 12:08 AM
hi forest, what tire pressure monitoring system do you have? i have noticed mine is going off occassionally and the tires are ok. mine is almost 3 years old and i am thinking that maybe the batteries in the stem sensor units are starting to wear down?

tom

folivier
10-10-2010, 12:13 AM
It's a Tire-Safeguard.
The crazy thing dropped down to 80# last night and started beeping. I reset the unit and all the others came back except that one. But it started up again as I was driving through Amarillo at 90# and started beeping. Just checked it and it is showing the correct pressure! It's only a year old so don't think it's the battery. I'm going to call Monday and talk with them.
Can't wait til the sun goes down so I can hit the rack.

chockwald
10-10-2010, 01:25 AM
Had to stop a couple of times today to take quick naps....not enough sleep last night. We are now ensconced in site 86 at USA RV Park in Gallup....I highly recommend this park...we have stayed here 3 times....the nicest family runs this place. The day was uneventful.....coach purrrred down the Interstate. Arrived here (lost one hour to mountain time) 5:30pm. Have a little under 190 miles tomorrow...should be in Santa Fe by Noon.

Tom, wish you were here, too. We'll talk about dropping down through Phoenix....really depends on Elaine.....she may need to be back by Saturday, so that would nix it, but if not then we'll seriously consider stopping by the homestead. I'm sure you would have discovered the same problem he did, just as quickly....it was the obvious place to start...is the starter getting juice? The total bill for the 3am service call and repair was $237......I was thinking something over $600 when I thought the starter had died, so the money, in my mind was already spent....it felt like he gave me $400....haha!

Forrest, wow, suddenly no lights would startle most of us......

folivier
10-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Sunrise at Oasis RV Park in Amarillo. Very nice roomy sites (no shade). $20/nite FHU/50 amps.
May stay here on the way home for 2 nites and 3rd nite is free!
And only 17 miles to Palo Duro Canyon.
We have 270 miles today so should be in Santa Fe around 2pm Central time.
Have a great Newell day everyone.

HoosierDaddy
10-10-2010, 01:10 PM
We're returning from our first week in the Newell after almost two years of repairing damage and updating. A couple minor things have surfaced that need attention (passenger w/shield wiper, no heat from defroster) but the major systems have worked well. Stayed at Conewago campground near Hershey, PA to attend the Antique Automobile Club of America swap meet etc. Lots to do and see in that area. I'm thinking of returning next year. It is HUGE!

encantotom
10-10-2010, 04:50 PM
hi dean,

glad you had a good trip. btw, the defrosters are stinky on all of ours....or most of them.

the picture makes your rig look 60 feet long.

tom

chockwald
10-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Arrived at Santa Fe Skies RV Park around 2pm, about 1/2 hour behind Cindy and Forest. We setup, unloaded the 'Bird and headed into town for some Mexican cuisine....found a nice little hole in the wall place and had some great, authentic Mexican food. Then went food shopping and are now watching the sun set....David thank you for the site recommendation....Row Z is perfect....no obstructions and close to the office WiFi!

chockwald
10-12-2010, 04:34 AM
We drove into old town Santa Fe this morning with Forest and Cindy and just spent time walking around the Plaza area looking at the wares of the various vendors, and then toured the Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi, and then the famous Loretto Chapel, which houses the famous spiral staircase built without any visible support (see pictures). We then had a late lunch at the Luminaria Restaurant. The temps did not get much higher than 63 today, and it was chilly in the shade! What a great relaxing day! Later this evening David and Denise Zonker breezed into town sans Newell and spent the evening with the Oliviers and us around the fire drinking wine, and eating snacks, and, of course, laughing a lot.

folivier
10-12-2010, 01:47 PM
More pictures here:

http://forest.djoinc.com/santafe/

chockwald
10-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Forgot to upload pictures of the spiral staircase.....

express1
10-13-2010, 02:23 AM
Connie and I are leaving Breckenridge (tiger run) on thursday or friday. Most likely will travel due south to I40 or I10 then East.....We have no special stops on the way home. All has been great.....

chockwald
10-16-2010, 03:32 PM
We departed Santa Fe Friday at 10:30am heading for home. We had a great time with Forest and Cindy, and the brief time David and Denise were there. We walked around Old Town Santa Fe, the art town of Madrid, and Taos.....ate a lot of great food, including one night of Gumbo prepared by Forest and Cindy. We would love to spend a lot more time in that area.....so much to see, and a lot of great cycling opportunities.

Forest and Cindy will spend a few more days there, and then head down to Albuquerque. Looking forward to visiting many of our Newell friends when we hit the road in less than a year.

chockwald
10-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Arrived home without incident early this morning. Stopped in Kingman to catch a few winks and were treated to an amazing electrical storm with torrential rains for about 2 hours! One casualty of the trip is a non-functioning tachometer. Was working when we stopped in Kingman, and NOT working when we left 4 hours later.....hmmmm. Otherwise, all systems worked well. We arrived home to rain coming down off El Cajon Pass from Hesperia, and very heavy fog. Took us about twice as long to descend from the summit down to Rancho Cucamonga. We were going around 30mph most of the time, and straining to see ahead.

folivier
10-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Maybe you should bypass Kingman next time?
We're safely tucked away at American RV Park in Albuquerque. Just hooked up and eating lunch (no green chilis). Good wifi.

chockwald
10-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Actually, we have had good experience with Kingman over the years.....it was Needles, CA that bit us on this last trip....as we passed by Needles westbound on I-40 last night we thumbed our noses at the exit....there were no repercussions for that act of defiance.

folivier
10-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Still in Albuquerque. Cindy and Mike are flying out in the morning, I'll head to Amarillo for a few days.
Went up in a balloon this morning, very cool.
So far it's been a great trip, no problems so far. Just need to work on a better solution for wifi.
Met Gary and Susie, nice couple. Hope they find their Newell soon.

chockwald
10-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Wish we were still out there with you Forest......rainy and cold here in So.Cal. How is your weather holding up?