PDA

View Full Version : Newell Battery Merge Switch Functionality?

RussWhite
06-30-2010, 08:22 PM
On the dash is a three position switch labeled "Park Only Battery Merge".

During a walk through at the factory the tech commented mine was one of the very few original equipment merge solenoids he had ever seen. He said replace it immediately as they had a very high failure rate. He suggested I just find a starter solenoid for a Ford that was rated for continuous duty and do the swap. I haven't started shopping for that yet and wondered if anyone had a suggested model that they had tried and are satisifed with. I am also a little curious about why the switch has three positions. I think center is off, down is on and I get the dash icon indicating I am merged, but I have no idea what happend in the up position. Nothing as best I can tell for now. Anybody know?

Thanks, Russ

HoosierDaddy
07-01-2010, 02:14 AM
Hi Russ,
That solenoid requires 12V on the primary wiring to activate it. If one of your battery banks is dead there would be no 12V to activate. When you flip the switch one way it uses your house batts to activate it. When you flip the opposite way it uses the engine batts to activate the solenoid. The batts are not merged in the center position.

The Newell
07-01-2010, 03:03 AM
Ryder Fleet Products has good deals on parts.

$17.00 bucks. This should be link below.

Joseph

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/products/product_detail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2144679507.127 7953257@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadekkhjefdecfkmcgfmdfoldflm.0&oid=51836

RussWhite
07-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks HoosierDaddy and Joseph. That is very clever with the three positions. I wonder why it doesn't illuminate the battery merged icon in the up position. Both sets of my batteries are charged and just fine.

Russ

HoosierDaddy
07-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Not sure about the icon...I would start at the solenoid and check the small wire..it should have 12V with the switch in either up or down position. You should hear it click when the switch is "thrown" either way.

larryweikart
07-03-2010, 12:27 AM
mine lights up in either the up or down position and is off in the center

fulltiming
07-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Mine also lights up either in the up or down position.

RussWhite
07-03-2010, 03:16 AM
I think the existing relay has failed as the voltage reported by the Link 2000 maintains a signficant difference even with the switch in either of the merge positions. I will replace the relay as the first step and see where that gets me. I'll keep at it until I get it working and get the icon lighted in both positions since I now know that is what it should do. Thanks to all. Russ

HoosierDaddy
07-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Russ,
Check the fuse panel located in front of the passenger seat. I believe there are (2) 5 amp fuses ...one for main batt - one for aux batt. One of those fuses is probably blown. Replacement may fix that icon.

express1
07-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Mine failed to light in the up rocker and it was true. My starting batteries were k-put.
Replaced with new and it lit up just like new.

folivier
07-05-2010, 02:43 PM
OK, my merge light doesn't come on in either position. There is no voltage to the light terminals. I have one 10 amp fuse for "auto merge batteries" that is good. Where is the solenoid located?
Thanks

folivier
07-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Never mind, I found the solenoid. I get power and it works in only 1 position, other switch position is dead. Indicator light gets 12volts in good position, 0v in other. But light doesn't come on, have continuity through both light terminals, but I'm assuming it's burnt(?). It is a Solico 14v 1/w, anyone know where to buy these? I will order and replace the solenoid, only other thing could be the merge switch on the dash?

HoosierDaddy
07-05-2010, 09:42 PM
My light was burnt out as well. I couldn't find a replacement locally so I took the light assembly apart and replaced the bulb. I had a few small bulbs in my tool box....I think they call them "grain-of-wheat" bulbs 'cause they are about that size...with two wires coming out of them.

folivier
07-09-2010, 03:27 PM
OK, I replaced the light (used the one from the transmission check) and only lights up in one position. So I replaced the solenoid, still only lights up in one position. I'm thinking the switch itself is bad. Guess I'll put that on my to-do list (which is surprisingly getting shorter!). Anyone know where to buy the switch?
I did order a couple of lights and should get them in next week.

DNOSSAMAN
07-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know which is up and down on merge. Engine up or down. Also I have not seen lights on merge on our 1989 40 foot. My husband loves this coach but it is driving me crazy chasing simple things down. Please help. Thank Debbie and Rod Oklahoma City, OK

Neweller
07-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Debbie and Rod, I'm not so sure there was a particular way on how they wired these. It should be easy to figure it out though. Just put it in the up or down position and it will trigger the merge solenoid, which on mine is in a panel at the rear outside of the coach. Some are located inside the engine compartment. Next turn the battery switch to the off position on the same panel for the one bank of batteries and see what position the switch will still trigger the solenoid. It will make a loud click sound, so you will need a second person. One of you up front doing the merge switching and one at the rear listening to the sound of the merge solenoid.

The battery bank that is actively supplying juice will be the one's that will correlate with that position of the merge switch while clicking back at the merge solenoid. The light on the dash should trigger in either position. likely the light is burned out and not working correctly.

Hopefully this will help you out.

I sent you a PM with my contact info in case you're still in a jamb.

DNOSSAMAN
08-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks Ken, I will try this week. I'm been working too many hours this last week. I'm hoping to get coach ready with as few fix its as possible prior to taking her to balloon fiesta in Oct. My husband loves this machine, but I'm the fix-it or just look for solutions. It was great to get this help and suggestion from you (aka pros) with your knowledge. Thanks again and will try on Monday. Debbie

NewellCrazy
04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Figured I post a few pictures of the dash switches and engine disconnect switch to give people a visual FWIW.

Sean

bigcatwally
04-03-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm amazed the disconnect switch looks virtually the same as my coach. They must be using the same switch for 30 years now.

Wally