PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lights and Jake Brake

RussWhite
07-14-2010, 03:24 AM
I am used to a braking modification made by a small company in NC called brakeswitch.com. It allows one to leave the engine brake selected at all times and it will engage when the service brake is used. It will stay engaged until the accelerator pedal is used the next time.
I need to know if on our Newells the brake lights are activated ( assuming you have the Jake on ) when the Jake is braking as you are coasting and have not yet touched the service brake. The choice of how the brake lights operate in this instsance is not universal. I understand that "most" coaches activate the brake lights when the auxiliary brake is braking and before the service brakes are engaged, but not all.

I'd ask a following trucker to tell me if my CB radio would reach that far, but that's another project for another day.
Thanks, Russ

Rockcreek73
07-14-2010, 03:58 AM
I just had a friend following us and he radio'd me and asked if If I was Jaking or breaking going down hill, as my lights were not on, and I was jaking. So I am thinking on our 2004 (#701), the brake lights are not on when jaking. On my previous RV's, they were not either.

fulltiming
07-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Mine don't come on and as it states below, I have a 1992 Newell.

encantotom
07-15-2010, 03:13 PM
hi russ, have you looked at richards thread on the brakeswitch?

tom

http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1420&highlight=jake+brake

RussWhite
07-16-2010, 01:36 AM
Tom,

Since you didn't give me the executive summary I will search it down and read it. Thanks, Russ

prairieschooner
07-16-2010, 02:00 AM
I'd be careful about modifying the wiring! I spent quite a few days restoring the original wiring on our '82. I would bet that most of the electrical problems with older coaches is from well meaning owners that make wiring changes. A simple modification can back-feed and create a problem later when a component fails.

Richard and Rhonda
07-18-2010, 02:42 AM
Russ,

Call me if you are thinking about putting a Brakeswitch on your Newell. I did and I like it very much.

Ate one sevin too too tres 2 zed fiver six

RussWhite
07-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Richard,

Yes, I will be adding brakeswitch to my coach. Thanks to the members who replied that their Newell only lights the brake lights when the pedal is depressed - that makes the install very straightforward. I took a quick look at doing the circuit myself with a couple relays and then looked at the neat finished product of brakeswitch and decided to take the easy way out and order from him. I've got to admit I kind of like the sound of the Jake doing its thing. I hope it is not annoying to others as it may be louder than I realize.