PDA

View Full Version : Driver side airbags won't hold air

folivier
08-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Driver side started dropping and won't hold air. This is parked at my house. In the sketch of the rear solenoid 6-pack when I press the raise button for the driver side air leaks from the bottom hole on the block manifold.
Could this be a solenoid leaking? If so which one would it be?
And where is the best place to purchase these solenoids?
Thanks.

prairieschooner
08-04-2010, 01:54 PM
There should be a diagram on the valve, can you take a picture or post a drawing. This diagram shows the direction that the valve allows the air to pass in the de-energized position. there will be a symbol of the spring on one end and a solenoid on the other. When the solenoid is energized the spool shifts and the air will pass in the new direction.
hope this helps

prairieschooner
08-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Forest,
I thought that I would also let you know that one of the valves on my Air Ride System was venting, discharging through a port (could have appeared to be leaking). The Ride Height Valve was the culprit in the case of our '82. It was the Linkage arm that had come loose.
Remember to Block the Coach before crawling under it and you can use a ghetto creeper (cardboard)...thanks to Richard for that moniker, I carry some cardboard aboard our Prairie Schooner around just for this purpose. Just to underscore Blocking I was under the Coach and was very happy to have Blocked it when I found the Linkage issue. I wiggled the Linkage and the Valve began to Vent the System, thankfully I had been warned and took the proper precautions!!!!!!!!!!!
I use some Leveling blocks that I stand on edge to Block our Coach, so I always have them aboard.

folivier
08-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Steve, I talked to Tommy at Newell and he thinks it might be one of the leveling valves leaking (through the exhaust port on the 6-pack manifold). So I order 2 to have a spare.
Where was your ride height valve leaking air? At the manifold block?

prairieschooner
08-04-2010, 06:01 PM
This is exactly what I was trying to explain to you, it may be the Ride Height Valve. Yes the Ride Height Valve was Venting through the Pneumatic Directional Control Valve. The Ride Height Valve was completely functional, just the Linkage Arm that Controls it was damaged.
This is why I recommended that you get a look at the Ride Height Valve from under the Coach---Remember to Block!
I was able to use my Blacksmithing skills to repair the Linkage and I used a piece of Fuel Hose to make a Grommet.

folivier
08-04-2010, 06:19 PM
That could be my problem, hmmm, the entire side is not staying up. It'll be the weekend before I can look at it more. I'll be sure to block it up (have to jack it up anyway with it down so low).
Thanks

prairieschooner
08-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Maybe, I would first try the Stationary Leveling System. This would bypass the Ride Height Valves. If you have a Manual System then you could Manually Lift the Coach and Block it. I believe that you should try to raise the coach with the front together a little then with the rear together and then do it all over again so that you don't load up the cab (windshields, etc.).
If you have one of those newfangled Automatic Systems you are on your own because I know not about them things.
I do carry a heavy duty Jack as well but you may not have to work that hard.

Richard and Rhonda
08-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I also have a leveling valve that is leaking at the valve. At first I also thought the solenoids might be blowing by, but then I actually heard the valve body hiss. A ha !!!

The best place to buy the solenoids is Newell. You can buy them from HWH but they charge more.

I tracked down the manufacturers of the valves(there have been three over the years), but they will not sell to individuals. They say the valve is proprietary to HWH.

If anyone does replace solenoid valves, I would like to have the old ones. I have been able to successfully rebuild some of them. And some of them, not.

folivier
08-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Richard, I ordered 2 from Newell. I'll save the one(s) I change for you. Do you want the entire valve?
Is your leveling valve the ride height valve or the solenoid valve on the 6-pack that is leaking?

Richard and Rhonda
08-05-2010, 12:31 AM
My leveling valve is leaking. It is located behind the drive wheels in the wheel well. The front one is in the center of the front axle.

Here is a crude logic for determining the likely culprit. Keep in mind the coach air supply goes to the leveling valve first, then through the solenoid, on then on to the bags. That's the circuit when the coach is in ride mode. So.......if you lose air pressure in the coach air guage quickly, but the coach stays level, then it is not likely the solenoid valves that are leaking.
That is what my coach is doing, but only when the coach is high or low in the back. If I have to raise or lower the coach rear, then the leveling valve body will leak like crazy. If I leave the rear level, then it will hold air for hours. Once I set the coach at a given level, it will stay there.
Looking at it another way, to check the solenoid valve leakage, raise the coach above normal height. If it stays up, then your solenoid valves are not leaking very much.

Yep, I would like to have the entire valve. I will gladly pay the shipping.

folivier
08-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Problem solved! I got the solenoids in from Newell yesterday. Replaced the left up solenoid, still leaking. Decided to try replacing the left down one with the one I just pulled (figured it was still good). When I removed the valve body the inner o-ring was displaced. I said hmmmm, took just the valve body from the old one and installed that one. No leaks! I leveled the coach, measured each wheel's height and after 30 minutes it's still holding level. So I now have a new spare and an old spare (sorry Richard, I think I'll keep that one).
I'm constantly amazed at how these problems sometimes turn out to be simple solutions. I guess that's what makes a Newell so great, quality components.

encantotom
08-07-2010, 04:07 PM
i have some "o" rings that ron gookin gave me if anyone needs a few. i have not tried them but knowing the engineer ron is, i would guess they are right to a few millionth's of a inch.

tom

Richard and Rhonda
08-07-2010, 06:32 PM
I also have a 100 of each, that's the bag size when I ordered them from McMaster Carr. Let me know if you need a few.

chockwald
08-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Good news Forest.....isn't that the truth....so often the solutions are simple.