PDA

View Full Version : Another Basement Air problem - solved

David and Teresa
08-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm posting this hoping it helping someone.

I have SCS basement ACs in my '99. SCS also made units under the RVAC brand. My front air was tripping the breaker constantly until one day it finally stopped running. I called Newell and they referred me to Victory Climate Systems in Texas, who bought all the inventory of SCS. My house AC guy came over and we found burned out tracers on the circuit board. Victory does have circuit boards for the SCS units. Mine was about $72. Installed and back in business. Unfortunately, Victory doesn't have whole units, compressors or fan motors. Their number is 817-293-3331.

Richard and Rhonda
08-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks David,

I am still of the opinion that a huge contributor to the burned circuit boards and burned out motors is low voltage which creates high current. The low voltage many times caused by loose electrical connections somewhere in the 120AC circuitry.

I realize I am pounding a dead horse, but I just have experienced this too many times on my coach, and others report such similar problems and circumstances.

chockwald
08-06-2010, 03:46 PM
A couple of months ago while at Rancho Jurupa Regional Park over Memorial Day we suddenly experienced a voltage drop, and then about 20 minutes later a power outage. As soon as I noticed the drop I shut off my AC units. Power was off for about 5 hours. The next morning a gentleman who was parked diagonally across from my pull through spot came over to talk about the outage. He mentioned he had noticed the voltage drop too and had immediately gone out and plugged in his Power Master V-50 voltage regulator into the pedestal (http://rvperformanceproducts.com/voltagecontrol.htm). These units will boost the existing low voltage at the pedestal by up to 12% to keep it as close to 120 as possible. It is also a surge protector. Pretty expensive, but less expensive than ruining an entire A/C unit, or other coach appliances. Do any of you carry one of these (or something similar), or have it hardwired into your coach already?

encantotom
08-06-2010, 06:33 PM
i have the progressive industries power management system hardwired into my newell.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm

it is very powerful in terms of protecting the coach and the things inside.

have a look

tom

RussWhite
08-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Taking no chances I have the Progressive Industries EMS hardwired and 50A voltage regulating auto-transformer. My one little moment of cool was when I was thinking about how I was going to mount the remote display for the EMS. It was provided with about 15ft of 4 conductor phone cable with the connectors wired in the opposite way from a normal phone cable. The instructions said to limit the distance to 15 ft. Hmmmm, I thought, is that because of some kind of data rate issue, or is it just so they won't have to supply a longer cable. Well I hauled out a 100 ft. cable and crimped on a new end to match the way PI did it, and hooked it up. No problem at all as the data was displayed perfectly. Now, how to get that cable up front where I wanted to be able to watch it anytime I wanted. I lead a boring life! Even getting out of the power bay was not going to be easy as everything was sealed really well, and then where would I go? But right there in the same bay was a phone jack that will never be used with my cell phone service. Just a few minutes of ringing out wries and moving a couple, and the remote would work at any jack anywhere in the coach. I ended up putting it on the back of the door for the narrow table under the big curb wide front window. Now I can open the door and watch amps and volts and HZ to my heart's content. Life is good in a Newell.

Richard and Rhonda
08-07-2010, 01:03 AM
That is brilliant. The phone wiring in the coach will never be used in today's cell phone world. Thank you for providing that tidbit.