PDA

View Full Version : KVH In-Motion Available

RussWhite
09-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Hi Friends,

I have just removed a perfectly working KVH In-Motion dish and controller from my coach. It is the L3/US model and as I understand will work with either of the major carriers, but I used it with DirecTV. It gets standard definition broadcasts and I want to move on to High Definition. It is capable of receiving signals from two satellites without changing position. So, the first forum member to contact me can have the complete system including all the mounting hardware - but there's a catch of course. I am not willing to box it up and ship it - so it's free to whoever will pick it up near Knoxville Tennessee in say the next six months.

If you are interested you may reply or email. russwhite@earthlink.net

prairieschooner
09-11-2010, 03:24 AM
rats! cannot make it to Texas that soon.

express1
09-11-2010, 03:32 AM
TEXAS? Steve:o

prairieschooner
09-11-2010, 03:35 AM
Whoops, Tennessee is much worse!
I guess that was too many Beers tonight, or is there such a thing?

express1
09-11-2010, 03:53 AM
kvh in motion? for DIRECT or Dish.

I have Dish in motion but my buddy wants Direct in motion. Is it currently supported with kvh? R6 model? All HD channels or only certain band?

chockwald
09-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Steve......I'm not sure it is possible to have toooo many beers.......

RussWhite
09-11-2010, 10:19 AM
kvh in motion? for DIRECT or Dish.

I have Dish in motion but my buddy wants Direct in motion. Is it currently supported with kvh? R6 model? All HD channels or only certain band?

All this changes very rapidly... At present it is my understanding that to get all that DirecTV has to offer, HD and SD, and local, requires a dish capable of receiving any of the five satellites located at 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119. 99 and 103 are Ka band birds. Your receiver needs to be capable to decoding MPEG-4 compressed material. If there is an in-motion option to do this I am unaware of it. I will be going to Winegard's automatic Travl'r dish, but it stays stowed while traveling. It is an open dish without a dome. The dish I am offering is covered with a black dome and gets standard definition programming while in motion.

Russ

Ron Skeen
09-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Hi Russ,
I am in Jefferson City and wondering if you live in Knoxville?
Ron

RussWhite
09-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Ron, I live in my Newell:) I have a noraml stick house in Maryville and that is where the KVH is. I am presently on my summer site on Tellico Lake near Greenback, Lenoir City, and Vonore, TN. The middle of Novemember will find me rolling to the Keys for the first season there in the Newell.
Regards, Russ

Stick Miller
09-11-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure if you are limiting to Newell owners. If you are, I can understand. I went over to the dark side and bought a '78 GMC Royale. Having fun but have no TV except for an antenna. I'd make a point of getting this if it is available to a traitor. :)

RussWhite
09-11-2010, 10:11 PM
On its way to a new home on top of a Newell. Sorry if anyone is disappointed or reads this too late like I normally do. At least I made one forum member happy. Cheers :thumbsup:

prairieschooner
09-12-2010, 02:57 AM
I say we let Stick use the rabbit ears!

chockwald
09-12-2010, 04:22 AM
Stick....say it ain't so......

Stick Miller
09-12-2010, 01:54 PM
A real GMC guru who lives in Americus talked me into making the change. After I got caught up in a little April fool's prank on this net, I started thinking a GMC might not be a bad way to get my feet wet. They seem to hold their own, pricewise, and have plenty of headroom for me. I have a fairly nice coach that always has something wrong with it. I'm gonna get me some rabbit ears. Will they work on a B&W TV?:)

prairieschooner
09-12-2010, 03:10 PM
sure..and in motion!lol!
By the way, I just looked up GMC Royale and I'm happy for you, that's a bus only a mother could love. Sorry but I'm used to my Newell, a bus that everyone loves.:wub:

Wally Arntzen
09-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Stick, I wish you well with your GMC. I had two GMC's over a twelve year period and used them a lot. One of them I restored from the ground up and it is now owned by one of my best friends who helped me with the restoration. I put over 100,000.00 into it and it still was a vehicle that had unending problems.
They are great vehicles for short stays and trips but I don't understand some of my friends still spend the winter in them in warmer climates than Minnesota.
After being in two different Newells over the past 12 years I could never go back to the GMC primarily due to the size difference. Also the lack of problems with the Newells. I put over 100,000 miles on my 88 and it is a great coach with minimal problems most of which I could correct myself.

Happy travels with the GMC and you did get the best with the royale.

Stick Miller
09-13-2010, 01:10 PM
I bought my GMC specifically for the size. Tires are $100 each and I can walk around in the coach without bumping my head. The beds are too short, but I have some expansion room. I have no desire to drive long distances or spend a lot of time in this coach.

It exists to give me something to do with my spare time. It fits in my back yard - a Newell or a Bluebird would not - and it allows me to drive 150 miles to Atlanta to see my children without being a burden to them. I can also drive 25 miles to the river where much of the social life of my town moves in the summertime.

I might change my mind in the future. I'm good on the money in this one. I can still recoup my investment. I'm learning about systems and safety and mechanicals - somethings I had limited knowledge of before. The engineering, especially with modern improvements, is excellent.

In the meantime I'll still spend my big time at my beach house. It is bigger than a Newell and rarely breaks down. The view is always great and the beds are huge.

People make choices. I think I made a good one.

prairieschooner
09-13-2010, 03:08 PM
yep, sometimes cheap is expensive.
Back to the KVH, mine is still working well but doesn't have the in-motion feature. When I move the coach a couple of hundred miles I need to let Direct know where I am. I wait until the receiver gives up and then go to the "dish set up" and enter my new zip code, works every time. I used to try the Lat/Lon but this didn't allow for the altitude.
I am getting the "itchy hitch"!

chockwald
09-13-2010, 03:57 PM
That's why I love my LOW tech Weingard crankup dish.....no matter where I am I can have a signal in just a few minutes...I just go to the DirecTV satellite finder page on their internet site, plug in the local zip code and it gives me the elevation and azimuth....UNLESS there is some obstacle that blocks the satellite signal, like in Mesa Verde last August where Steve and I overnighted on our way to Creede....haha! I rarely ever network programs on the road, or have a desire, but if I do want to see a network program I can get the east coast feed....just have to watch it 3 hours sooner than I wanted...haha!

Stick....just giving you a hard time......you just never know when an April Fools joke will have unexpected consequences...LOL!

prairieschooner
09-13-2010, 08:31 PM
yep, Clarke but you were only kidding! lol! It was so transparent but I guess that answers the question why.:o

http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1456

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png

Richard and Rhonda
09-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Stick,

I am happy for you. Sounds like you found something that fit your needs, and I agree that it's a great way to learn your way around.

There is also a great cult following for the GMC's with folks just (or even more) passionate and helpful as the Newell bunch.

I wish you luck with your new toy.

Stick Miller
09-15-2010, 12:17 AM
The point is to have fun. Whatever!:)