PDA

View Full Version : Floor Covering Options

GSrdr
09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Flooring options in an RV are as varied as in any home. However, there are issues with RVs that homeowners seldom face, that being vehicle weight. The selection of stone and ceramic flooring can contribute significantly more weight than alternative floor coverings.

With the concentrated living space of a RV comes concentrated use of any floor covering. Thus, the use of carpets will require careful focus to keep clean. Something difficult with pets, kids and visitors.

Stone and tile floors can be so hard, so slippery, transmit and reflect sound. Laminates are better, but maybe not compliant enough for bare foot comfort. Solid vinyl planks and tiles are easy to install, look like the natural surfaces they replace, and don't crack or transmit as much sound. Easy to clean too.

I would like to propose a flooring which is very durable, self healing, kind to bare feet, sound absorbing, infinite variety of color, easy to install and easy to care for. That is cork flooring. Libraries install cork flooring because of the sound absorbing properties. Cork is chosen for many kitchens because of the comfort it provides.

http://www.corkfloor.com/

Yes, it does require periodic care, similar to laminate floorings. In exchange you get a very comfortable, quiet and durable floor.

chockwald
09-26-2010, 03:20 PM
I think Forest (Folivier) installed cork in his bathroom when he redid it a few months back. Right now we have wood, and really, really like it. We left in the moisture barrier that was under the old carpeting and padding, and then installed the wood over that.....gives it a "softer" feel. We spent a month travelling in the northwest last November/December and experienced mostly temps in the mid 30's to high teens most of the time. Our feet never "stuck" to the floor.....in fact it seemed no cooler than normal.....a real testament to the insulation Newell installs. After a year and a half we still like our decision, but would definitely consider cork if/and when we replace that. It is wearing well, and very, very easy to clean and really gives our Newell a great interior look.

GSrdr
09-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Woods, laminants, and solid vinyl products are great. My issues are with carpet because of the difficulty in keeping clean and the stone products because of weight and sound.

I'm only suggesting cork because I haven't seen it used. The compliance of cork which makes for a softer feel and sound absorption appeals to me. In addition, the patterns and ease of installation are appealing.

GSrdr
09-26-2010, 03:54 PM
There are issues with cork flooring though. For example, subjecting cork to high radiant heat temperatures just won't work (>80 degrees). Cork is an insulator, like wood, so radiant heating takes longer.

http://www.apccork.com/faq.html

encantotom
09-26-2010, 05:03 PM
i stay at the shangrala hotel in singapore when there on business. the elevators on the wing i stay in have cork flooring on them and has for years.

yet, i put a crease with a fingernail on a sample of cork flooring from home depot and it didnt go away.

we have probably half of our house with inlaid wood floors and i love them. they were the raw wood that was then sanded and finished.

so, i love cork, but am concerned about how it would look after a while. i am anxious to see how the floor forest did holds up

tom

folivier
09-26-2010, 09:38 PM
I chose Wicanders brand cork after much research. It was the only cork that I found that can be put over radiant floor heaters. Really like the look and feel of the cork. Hope it holds up, think it will. My FIL has had cork flooring in his house for over 50 years and after 6 kids it is in pretty good shape.
Anxious to try out the heated floor in Santa Fe, hasn't been below 75 at night here.
Here is the thread showing some pictures of the floor: http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1538&page=2

GSrdr
09-26-2010, 10:04 PM
That floor is a great look. Thanks for the site with the extreme finish.