PDA

View Full Version : Black tank valve lubrication

rheavn
09-28-2010, 10:50 PM
My coach has air operated waste valves that have the words "keep lubricated" written on them. Can anyone educate me on how often to lubricate? What type of lube? Where do you apply the lube?

Thanks in advance..................

folivier
09-28-2010, 11:30 PM
That's a dangerous question Steve.

chockwald
09-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Lubricate at your own risk.......

tuga
09-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Steve,

There is a rubber "paddle" that stops/starts the flow of waste water when you open/close your waste water valve. It needs to be lubricated with axle grease or some other type of lubricant that is not petroleum based. After removing it, just smear a light coat of grease on the paddle itself.

If if is not kept lubricated it will leak and you will have black water dripping from the valve housing. As long as it is not leaking just leave it alone.

To get to it, just remove the 2 s.s. phillips head screws that are on either side of the air valve plunger, then you can lift the entire plunger and get to the paddle. The paddle just screws on/off. I always keep 2 spare paddles on board because when one starts to leak you want to change it out quickly. Newell has them in stock. Of course you have to dump your black water tank completely first; I lean my coach with the air bags first then dump. Then when you are ready to change the paddle lean the coach back the other way.

rheavn
09-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks Tuga That is just what I needed! I'll be emptying the black tank for winter & had thought that would be a good time to knock out some maintenance, but I guess I'll wait until it leaks.