PDA

View Full Version : Better wifi Bullet 2hp from Ubiquiti

folivier
11-06-2010, 09:53 PM
I have been having a difficult time at campgrounds getting wifi while inside the coach. After researching different solutions I bought and just tried out a Bullet 2hp from Ubiquiti. This consists of the Bullet radio, an external antenna, a Linksys router, and a POE to power the Bullet over the ethernet cable. Total cost will be well under $250. I will mount the antenna/bullet combo to my TV antenna, that way when I raise the TV antenna I'll be set to go. The router will be inside the coach and once I connect to wifi I'll have a wireless network inside of the coach.
Hopefully this will give us much better access.
I set it up in the barn, about 200' away from my house wireless. Normally I have a very weak signal. I had a strong, fast signal. Should only get better once I mount the antenna on top of the coach.

HoosierDaddy
11-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Thanks for sharing Forest ...I've been looking for something like this...
Dean

folivier
11-07-2010, 12:39 AM
If you go with a setup like this let me know and I'll send you a small .pdf file that has the initial configuration settings to get the bullet up and running. Plus a few tips that I learned the hard way. Ubiquiti (ubnt.com) has a support forum, while pretty technical and over my head, does have some posts from people using these in a similar setup.
I bought the antenna and bullet from Jefatech.com and am waiting for some direct burial cat5 cable to come in to install it. Any wireless router will work.

express1
12-07-2011, 08:35 PM
During a short trip with my buddy Cannon, in his Super Fancy quad-slide 47' Newell, totally dressed with lettuce and tomato.
He found his coach short on one thing.
Ability to receive a strong WiFi signal.

An overnite order from Land and Sea WiFi solved that issue.

Even with 2 old hard of hearing and bad vision installers, we were able to install and verify the strength of this unit.

The Wave WiFi Rogue may have been developed for marine use but has served the RV'ers well.
This unit came with a wireless Netgear Router that made mobility even easier.

This unit boosted existing signals off the chart and received others not even seen before...
Sometimes the Best is simply that. The Best!
www.landandseawifi.com

encantotom
12-08-2011, 01:04 AM
hi matt,

where did you guys put the antenna?

tom

folivier
12-08-2011, 02:15 AM
I mounted my antenna to the tv antenna so press a button and it is raised. The system Matt is talking about is the same as mine. I just bought the parts separately. Really works great.