PDA

View Full Version : '83 Newell

bluesky
11-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Hello Everyone From Beautiful BC, Canada

My wife and I just jumped off the fence and have an accepted offer on a 1983 Newell Motorcoach. I spent a few years researching the BB Wanderlodge, then a few weeks ago I saw my first Newell coach in Kelowna, BC. and the rest is history. I found this coach on your newellclassifieds page. It's owned by a member named "shoebox".

The coach is in Holland MI, so it's quite a complex task to complete the purchase transaction. If any one out there has some useful tips re importation to Canada, taxes in the state of MI, pre-purchase inspection, driving across the country in a 40' coach in November ... we would be grateful.

Cheers

HoosierDaddy
11-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Congrats Bluesky! Let me know if you need anything....You have my number
Dean

Bill & Sonja
11-13-2010, 06:13 AM
You've got an adventure ahead Glenn. I'm sure you're up to speed on this stuff but just in case this link may be helpful
http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx
Looking forward to travel updates and pictures of the new coach. Safe travel.:thumbsup:

bluesky
11-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Folks

Just had a thought, is there a special designated license required to drive this coach? I have a Class A Winnebago (gas) that doesn't require anything special.

My plan is to fly to MI early in the week and, assuming the pre-purchase mechanical inspection is good, drive home.

tuga
11-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Bluesky,

Congratulations on your new purchase. No, there is no special license required to drive your Newell in the U.S.

Be careful and allow yourself a good distance in traffic to stop.

We would love to see pictures of your new purchase when all of the dust settles.

I have owned a 1987 Newell and a 1993 Newell so if you have any questions don't hesitate to call me 985 381 6613.

Bill & Sonja
11-14-2010, 11:14 PM
In Alberta we need an air brake endorsement, other than that an ordinary license is all that's required.

prairieschooner
11-15-2010, 02:48 AM
I say that you go to your local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) or the appropriate Agency and check with them. Some places do require a Special License or at least an Endorsement. Better safe than ......

bluesky
11-15-2010, 02:58 AM
... well, guess I dropped the ball on this one. Turns out I do need an Air Brake Endorsement in my hometown Province of BC. Rather than drive the coach home this week, I am now looking for storage space in the Holland MI area. Also, I'll have to check and make sure I can get an out of country storage policy.

After 2 years of research, we finally take the step to purchase and now this little detail changes the plan. Bummer. May be smarter to store though, rather than drive across the country this time of year.

Thanks for your support, I'll keep you posted.

ps for those of you asking, if you go back into the forum archives and search "shoebox" you'll see pics of the coach.

express1
11-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Did someone say DRIVER?

bluesky
11-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks all,

Decided to fly down for visual and mechanical inspection and, if we purchase, store the coach until the spring.

Dean, your storage offer sounds perfect. I will be in the area for the inspections late this week and I'll give you a call. Assuming we purchase, I would drive the coach to the storage on the Saturday or Sunday. Would that work for you? Love to stay at your B&B as well.

HoosierDaddy
11-16-2010, 02:51 PM
That'll work bluesky...Just give me a call !
Dean

bennme
11-26-2010, 04:15 AM
I've imported several vehicles as a collector so if you need info on importing, give me a shout. I live in Kelowna. You don't need to go thru RIV since the coach is over 15 years old. You will have to pay GST at the border you cross and you will also have to contact the US Customs at the border you cross and have a copy of the title faxed to them at least 72 hours prior to crossing into canada. Without that, they will not allow you to export it. You will have to have original to produce to US customs at port of exit that you faxed the copy to.

When you get to the Canadian side you will have to have stamped title in hand, bill of sale and will fill out an import form, which is quite simple. Make sure the manufacturers US DOT compliance plate is visible for Customs to see, pay your GST and off you go. You will need to contact ICBC immediately upong entering Canada in BC and get a Temp Operating Permit to drive to an inspection station. Then it's off to your icbc agent with all the paperwork to register it. I'm retired from the RCMP so let me know if you need anything else.

Good luck...Keith

bluesky
11-26-2010, 06:07 AM
Keith

I'll sleep well tonight, thanks for the reassurance. I did enough research to feel pretty comfortable with the importing process, however, you have made it more than just theory. It's a fact, given the coach is more than 15 years old, we do not need to go through RIV. Cheers.

Richard and Rhonda
11-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the Newell crowd. I think you will find this forum to be extremely beneficial.

I have made many good friends here. I also find the information offered up is much more likely to be accurate than on other generic RV forums. I was going to say less nut cases here, but some would consider most of us pretty nutty.

Please don't hesitate to post your questions as they come.

prairieschooner
11-26-2010, 01:45 PM
hey Keith, do you still have one of those hats and wear it?

we are looking forward to visiting Canada, welcome both of you.

bluesky
11-29-2010, 07:32 PM
thank you all, I'm totally excited to get to know you all and the details of our coach. My wife and I will fly to Chicago in May and drive her home, stopping at The Gorge in Washington State for the 4 day Sasquatch music festival.

I'm a music guy. Play in a band and manage a band called Pull InCase of Fire. My son is the singer/writer.

Neweller
12-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the family!:thumbsup: What a great coach you have decided on. You folks got a beauty!

Ken

zcasa
12-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Hey Blue Sky:

We spent a week in Kelowna, BC two years ago with our Newell. We stayed at Apple Orchard RV Park which only has 10 spots, but plenty good for us. As I recall there is a big lake nearby. lol. Gorgeous country and we loved all of it. May have heard some of your music. Very cool. We sold our Newell this year, but we won't quit reliving the memories, stimulated by postings such as yours. Enjoy your really nice looking 83. Our 92 had lap belts, and maybe you can call Newell to see about installation of seat belts. Those windshield are pretty big and pretty close to you.

David

bluesky
12-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks David

This is gorgeous country, for sure. I will check with Newell and other RV Service Centers re lap belts. Keep the music flowing.

Glenn