PDA

View Full Version : Resealing some windows.

Neweller
07-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Well, after doing some work on my coach interior walls, I've slowed down that process to re-seal the windows along the way. It also looks like I will be doing the window felts too.

I got one in and out today. Pretty darn hot out to do too many. They had butyl seal with caulk, which I razor knifed out. It wasn't to bad to cut-out and clean up. Took some pics and video of the process. I ended up using 5/16" butyl and Big Stretch flexible sealant on the install. I didn't even have to wear gloves, things went real smooth. I put the butyl in the freezer while taping things off around the window. After cleaning the old butyl off, I applied the new butyl by rolling it around the window frame, keeping it close to the corner and lightly rubbing my fingers across the paper making sure it was pretty even and level. Then with some assistance I installed it back into the opening, pushing around the outside frame. While having my helper hold the window on the outside, I re-installed the inner trim ring. Semi-securing the corners first and then pulling in the sides, top and bottom. After things were even and secure, I applied the clear Big Stretch around the edge for the final seal.

Things turned out pretty good. Now taking a break down in the cool basement sharing my thoughts. I can see why a lot of people would only want to do a couple at a time. ;)

Neweller
07-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Resealed another window and it was twice as hard as the first one. Due to the cut-out on what looks to be a replacement piece of siding done in the past, the opening what cut a little tight in a couple of spots and loose in others. The areas that were looser had more sealant to cut. I cleaned things up a little better for the re-seal. It started raining very hard today after a long period of dry weather and is supposed to rain through the night, we'll see how dry she stays.:unsure: