PDA

View Full Version : where are you

prairieschooner
07-24-2011, 02:12 PM
The weather report for the nation looks hot so I was wondering where some of you are?
We are at our cabin at 6500' weather is perfect up here and there is a Thousand Trails across the highway from us.

chockwald
07-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Anywhere at elevation sounds appealing right now, although, it has been very pleasant here in Riverside the past week with a heavy marine layer each morning keeping the daytime highs in the low to mid 90's. The humidity, once the marine layer burns off, has been very low.....around 26%.

Got any projects going right now Steve?

prairieschooner
07-24-2011, 02:56 PM
yes, I am nearing the end of a Kitchen remodel! :thumbsup: I had to rebuild a wall with cedar planks and now finishing the floor in the new pantry. The floor in the kitchen and pantry is engineered hardwood. Last year I built a new hearth for the wood burner using red clay brick. While I am not a carpenter I am very pleased with the work so far.
I have also been working on the CJ7 and it is finally back on the road again. Looks like we will have it this winter to explore the desert and maybe Mexico if it has calmed down later.
Looking forward to this winter so that we can get back in the coach again. How are things working out for you guys and your new profession?

HoosierDaddy
07-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Here in North-east Indiana the thermometer in my Jeep hit 101 on Thursday....Thats probably no big deal to Tom B-) . It was a "dry" heat til yesterday when it rained ...Now it's humid!! I saw my ol' 78 Newell at a fuel station yesterday.. It still looks good and the new owner still looks happy!

Bill & Sonja
07-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Salmon Arm, British Columbia. 65°, blue sky and sunshine this morning. We've missed the heat wave and have had a lot of rain in in Western Canada this summer. A real nice little town on a southern arm of Shuswap Lake. We've been in the Newell all summer and the more we use it the better we like it.

encantotom
07-24-2011, 05:02 PM
it was only 105 here yesterday, so not hot at all. a pretty normal warm july. did hit 121 earlier in the month. i attached a screen capture of the local weather station near my house for the month of july.

come on down, you will find out how good your air conditioners really work.

lets do the same comparison in november.....i bet i win then.

tom

Bill & Sonja
07-24-2011, 05:42 PM
November! No contest. I have yet to experience a climate too hot for me. The same is not true for cold. Hoping to put the air conditioners to the test.

prairieschooner
07-24-2011, 10:24 PM
:o Tom, you are nuts! 121 degrees are way tooo many degrees for me! :o
It sounds like you are in a perfect spot but only if Salmon are plentiful.
Clarke what do you think of 121? and where is Matt or Forest or Ron or Larrylol!(uh-oh)?

folivier
07-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Temp's been in the mid to high 80's, but it's a wet heat!
Been getting a few inches of rain each day.
Went from having to water the lawn to keep it from dying, to cutting grass every few days!

prairieschooner
07-24-2011, 10:31 PM
glad to hear that you are doing well driving the Lawn Mower, hows Cindy and her Gumbo:wub:?

folivier
07-24-2011, 10:37 PM
We're doing great, plan to take the house off the market the end of the month. Plenty lookers but no spenders.
Cindy should be able to cook more gumbo in a couple more weeks, her last day at work is Aug. 17th! Yay!!!!

prairieschooner
07-24-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm thinking a Gumbo Cook-Off somewhere should happen somewhere, how about Moab, UT :thumbsup: or maybe Bonneville :thumbsup: during speed week?

folivier
07-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Actually Moab is on our TO-DO list when we take off next spring (or earlier????)
Wanna help me get my Jeep Liberty stuck?

jwe648
07-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Tom I think it's a bit cooler on your side of town.. I was considering forgoing the microwave and just setting the TV dinner on my hood..

Jimmy

it was only 105 here yesterday, so not hot at all. a pretty normal warm july. did hit 121 earlier in the month. i attached a screen capture of the local weather station near my house for the month of july.

come on down, you will find out how good your air conditioners really work.

lets do the same comparison in november.....i bet i win then.

tom

prairieschooner
07-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Sounds like fun Forest.

chockwald
07-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Forest, Elaine's last day of work is 9/30/2011. Wahooo! Moab is on our to do list, also. Plans are to head south for the winter just after New Year's and start heading to Pacific Northwest early April. Hope to see you guys before you leave Lousiana.

folivier
07-25-2011, 06:53 PM
It looks like we'll still have the house so you have a place to park for a few days if you'd like.
Our plans are to start sometime in the spring (after the snow's gone, and before it gets here!) and head into Colorado for a few weeks. Then over to Moab and other places in Utah. Then head over to north Calif. and slowly work our way up to Washington state. We'll probably fly home a couple times while doing that, then we plan to leave the coach somewhere in Wash. for the winter. Then in the spring head over to Yellowstone, the Badlands, Great Lakes, Adirondacks, Maine, Newfoundland, and head down the east coast. Whew! Of course it won't matter how long it takes, or how we change the route, we just plan to travel!

chockwald
07-26-2011, 02:16 AM
Your plans sound a lot like ours.....make it up as we go, and time is not a factor, only seasonal changes!

prairieschooner
07-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Tom and Jimmy.................Run! :o it is too hot where you guys are :rolleyes:

express1
07-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Lake tahoe with jacket on!

chockwald
07-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Matt, where are you staying at Lake Tahoe?

tuga
07-27-2011, 01:27 AM
I am at home in Houma, LA. It is 8:30PM and the temp is 79 degrees and clear.

I just finished my 30 minute daily walk; didn't even break a sweat.

Of course, I wish that I was in the mountains some where. But like my friend Robert says,

"Wish in one hand and pee in the other one .... see which one fills up first!

jwe648
07-27-2011, 01:46 AM
I stayed here a year back.. Small very Nice with good folks.. and Cool in the summer!.. & Trout Fishing...:thumbsup:
http://www.acresgreenrv.com/main_page.html

prairieschooner
07-27-2011, 03:07 AM
there's Matt without a jacket I bet!

tuga
07-27-2011, 04:53 PM
there's Matt without a jacket I bet!

Two years ago, I went with Matt to pick up his Newell in Madison, WI. On the trip back he had the dash AC and both basement ACs on full blast. It was 67 degrees in the cockpit and Russo says, "I think there's something wrong with this AC"!

He is never too cold!

RussWhite
07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
My Newell is the first coach I have owned that can stay really cool in every condition I have encountered and that includes Phoenix. The way the air exits on both sides of the passenger side big window near the ceiling and then just seems to flow right over to the driver's position makes for a cool ride. The dash air is also much more effective that I anticipated.
What would be really nice is a way to adjust the setting on the thermostat for the front unit while driving. Doing it by turning the generator on and off seems a little crude - guess I just need to stop once in a while anyway until I find that perfect number. At 67 I would be wrapped up in every blanket I could find!

Russ

express1
07-28-2011, 05:08 AM
Two years ago, I went with Matt to pick up his Newell in Madison, WI. On the trip back he had the dash AC and both basement ACs on full blast. It was 67 degrees in the cockpit and Russo says, "I think there's something wrong with this AC"!

He is never too cold!

Tuga, you know I've been accused of being very COLD:o

That was a very good trip.... I'm back in Reno now waiting surgery on my knee.
No big deal, just need to get it fixed. Doctor said I would be 80% after ten days....
I feel very good about this doctor.....Dr.Digby Preston. He worked on Tom Watson and other sports guys not long ago.....
We will start looking for a place in Indio for the winter soon....October or November....thru Feb or March.

READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!!!!

prairieschooner
07-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Matt,
If you guys are in Indio by November you should plan a trip to Idyllwild. This is a small community that still does those "Mayberry, USA" type events. The Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony is late November or early December. The Choir sings Christmas Songs and we even have Santa who comes by Fire Truck!

Hopefully it would be cold enough for you, usually requires a jacket and a hot-toddy. Heck if anyone else is close they should come as well, great fun for the whole family;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7b71Jn8eRU

I just found this link to the 4th of July Parade from this year;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A42wNAVgJwM

afrench45
07-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Destin Fl. Bound. Left Oklahkma City about 8:00 this morning and going to try to get to Pensecola, Fl tonight.

Russ you mentioned that your coach stays cool all the time on the road? When it's 95+ outside my coach struggles to keep cool. I run the a/c's all day and it still will not stay below about 78. Newell said with slides it is hard to keep them cool on the road....wish it'd stay 65!

encantotom
07-28-2011, 03:18 PM
tom and julie, do you have roof airs or basement? i wonder how roof airs do compared to basement in high temps?

if it is 110 plus outside, my 3 roof airs will cool it down, but certainly not get down to 67 degrees. fortunately for me, i seldom use it in the summer and when i do it is to get out of the heat so it is only temporary.

tom

afrench45
07-28-2011, 03:28 PM
We've got basement air. When I bought the coach I thought I'd love them, but after having them I would rather have roof air. I would rather have the storage, and they condensate right underneath the coach and often run out onto our patio while at a camp ground. Newell told me it was the way the air was vented, so I'm not sure roof air would make a difference. I think with my slides in it covers some of the air ducts.

smagown
07-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Tom:
I can cool down to 65 deg with just two of my three roof airs on in 100 deg heat in LA. I haven't needed to turn the 3rd one on yet. My basement air just wouldn't do the job in our heat. They spec'd out to all of the charts as far as amperage draw etc.
Thanks

chockwald
07-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Just have the two roof A/C's the coach came with. On a day when temps get over 100 we can keep the coach in the high 60's with both on. With one on it will stay in the high 70's. We love our roof A/C's. Another bonus is they still have the "old" freon in them.

Summersgal
07-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Tom and Julie

Have a safe trip and enjoy FL!!

Pam