PDA

View Full Version : Generator alternator

Hardtrigger
08-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi just purchase my first newell 1991 and very excited!! Can someone please explain what the alternator on the generator is charging! Which battery is this going to! Thanks in advance, I have a battery on passenger side in engine copartment and we dont know what it powers to for it does not go to engine starter though its a chassis baterry or at least the adjacent baterry does! Thanks, Robert

prairieschooner
08-19-2011, 01:47 PM
The Generator would have been made as a stand alone unit so the charging system should be charging the batteries that are used to start it, most likely the house batteries. That is how my 1981 is wired, not sure about your coach bit someone else will chime in to help out.
I would expect you to have two size 8D batteries for the engine starting. The Detroit 92s want more Cranking Amps than one of these batteries is rated for.

encantotom
08-19-2011, 03:27 PM
hi,

i will private message you so check for it with my contact info. i have a 1990 so very similar in most ways.

tom

Hardtrigger
09-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Encantotom thanx for the private messages. I received them while traveling and never was able til now to thank you for them. Thanx again