PDA

View Full Version : Newell Partners With Airstream

fulltiming
09-20-2011, 11:56 PM
According to RV Business News:

Newell is now an authorized dealer of the Airstream Interstate 3500 Class B touring motorcoach for customers in the South-Central U.S.

Newell is also offering the coach to Newell customers who want to use the Airstream as an adjunct to their existing Newell or to downsize to a smaller motorcoach.“For some time, our customers have been asking for advice and help buying a Class B RV that they could use as a tow vehicle or as an alternative to their larger Newell motorcoach,” added Newell Coach President, Karl Blade. “There are many brands to choose from, but our customers repeatedly mention Airstream as their preference. Thanks to our new association with Airstream, we can respond directly to those customers’ requests.”

The Airstream Interstate 3500 provides the quality, comfort and performance of a Mercedes-Benz platform in a Class B touring vehicle. It is powered by a 3.0-liter Mercedes-Benz V6 diesel engine and produces 188 hp and 325 pound-foot of torque. Even though it gets 30% better fuel economy than other comparable gasoline engines, it is able to tow 6,900 pounds.

“The Interstate gives Newell owners more flexibility,” said Blade. “For example, a Newell with an Interstate in tow can be driven to a convenient location outside a national or state park. The Interstate can then be driven into the park, providing convenient overnight facilities for a day-or-two stay within the park. In addition, some long-time Newell owners would like to downsize to a coach that is compact but still offers some of the comfort and convenience they’re used to,” Blade continued. “The Airstream is a great choice for our customers. It reflects the luxury, quality and innovation they’ve come to expect in a motorcoach.”

rheavn
09-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Amazing! Newell has come full circle. Remember Mr Newell purchased the original motorhome company from Airstream.

HoosierDaddy
09-21-2011, 01:46 AM
Uhh, I would like to respectfully correct the record..L.K. Newell bought Streamline. Streamline along with Avion and numerous others were competitors to Airstream. I looked at several Streamline trailers before my recent purchase of a 1969 Airstream. It was interesting to note how similar the body construction was to my 1978 Newell. Many hold the opinion that Streamline offered more robust construction compared to Airstream. I am inclined to agree. They are very solid.
It should be noted that the gentleman who started Streamline had earlier left Airstream to start the Silver Streak trailer co. then left there to start Streamline.

HoosierDaddy
09-21-2011, 01:51 AM
Wife and I toured the Airstream factory in Jackson Center, Ohio last week. It was very interesting...I think they do tours every day at 2:00 pm. If I ever decide to downsize, an Airstream motorhome would definately be considered.

rheavn
09-21-2011, 02:52 AM
I stand corrected it was Streamline not Airstream. I had remembered the connection to Airstream. Back then almost all companies were spin offs by employees.

prairieschooner
09-21-2011, 04:30 AM
Great minds think alike. Here are a couple of pics of our Airstream, these were taken while I was building the Covered Storage. The 1958 Airstream 18' Traveler will be our Guest Room when finished (some day).;)
Yes that is my '52 FORD 8N Tractor, doesn't every Man need a Tractor?

HoosierDaddy
09-21-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm restoring/updating the old Airstream at the moment. The plan is to take it to N. Carolina (800mmiles) and leave it at our daughter's place. We'll use it when we visit there several times a year.
Yeah , Steve I had a '52 8N that looked just like yours years ago. I eventually sold it and have a similar size Kubota (with a cab with heat, A/C and stereo!)

express1
09-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Just a little twisting of the arm, and I could trip in one of those!!!!

bluesky
09-23-2011, 02:19 AM
man, cool doesn't do those trailers justice. Must be something to spend a night enjoying their vibe and history.