PDA

View Full Version : Solar panel install

folivier
11-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Finished up yesterday afternoon. Installed 4 60watt panels with a BlueSky 2512ix controller hooked up to my 2 8D house batteries. Unplugged from shore power, pulled the coach out in the driveway. House batteries while plugged in were 13.4V, put in the fuses and the solar system started charging. Putting out 16.5V at 3pm. But watched the house battery voltage drop from 13.4 to 12.8V, is this normal? This morning at 8am the voltage is 12.6 and the panels are just starting to charge.
I have the Dometic fridge (on gas) and a small freezer running plus a few other parasitic loads to find (merge switch off). And plan to order 3 5meter strips of LED's to replace the fluorescent cove lights.
Hopefully this will allow us to dry-camp occasionally and keep the batteries charged up when we have to store it when we fly home on our trip next year.

prairieschooner
11-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Sounds to me like you are ready!

folivier
11-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks Steve. What concerned me was with the inverter/charger on the batteries were at 13.4V then dropped to 12.8 when I unplugged. But they held up pretty good last night.
The install went pretty good. Only problem I had was trying to use well nuts. Luckily I only drilled four 1/2" holes. The threaded insert kept pulling up through the rubber, couldn't get them tight! After using up 8 of the darn well nuts I gave up and just used 7/32" rivets (2 for each mount). Now I have 4 holes to patch in the roof. I filled them with silicone until I can get a better patch. Probably use Eternabond tape.

chockwald
11-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Forest, where did you purchase your panels, etc.? Will be interested in how things go the next few days as you get used to your new charging system. We will be doing an install in the next 60 days.

folivier
11-04-2011, 04:32 PM
"Every pictures tells a story" as Rod Steward said
Actually these panels were given to me, long story over a few beers some day.
I would have gone with higher wattage panels if I had to buy, but couldn't beat the price. The installation was really easy, components were easy to find. Well worth considering doing the installation yourself to save quite a few bucks.
For one thing I made the mounting brackets out of aluminum angle. Easier to attach than Z brackets and give me the option of adding tilt brackets later.

prairieschooner
11-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Forest,
Sounds like the Inverter/Charger was putting out the 13.4 Volts most likely on a Float Charge. You have bigger panels than we do so you should be set. Great deal as well!
Clarke,
Are you home yet or driving in the rain?

folivier
11-04-2011, 05:01 PM
I thought it never rains in California????

prairieschooner
11-04-2011, 05:20 PM
yes and we are expecting snow today and Sunday. Snow levels are supposed to go down to 4,000' and we are better than 6,000'. Glad that we warmed up the Newell last week but I will be using my tractor later today since I have a job in Newport Beach tomorrow.

folivier
11-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Clarke, like I said I made the mounts out of aluminum angle which are just 2 pieces about 2" wide bolted together. Wired all 4 panels together in a plastic box using a terminal block (part #36533 from skycraftsurplus.com). Then ran 4 gauge wire down to the controller. Used Scosche fuse holders for the + from panels and to battery +, these I got from Walmart in car audio section. Wire and waterproof connectors from Lowe's. Bought the Bluesky controller from AMsolar.com
I'll run out and take some pictures. I do plan to add a Trimetric gauge later on if we do a lot of dry-camping.
Call me if you have any questions.

folivier
11-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Still need to tie down a few wires but it's working!

prairieschooner
11-05-2011, 12:48 PM
"Eternabond Tape"
Please tell me more about this, have you used it before? Don't have any leaks right now but knowledge is everything.

folivier
11-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Never used it before Steve, but looks like the best thing to repair leaks on our aluminum roofs.
Bought it off ebay from this place, I'll let you know when it comes in & I use it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eternabond-Mobile-Home-RV-Aluminum-Repair-Tape-4-x-5-/350446476893?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&vxp=mtr&hash=item51983cde5d

RussWhite
11-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Hey Guys,

I have used it for years and you will love it. Just be sure when you put it down it is where you want it. I have not tried to ever remove any and don't think I would want to. Yes, amazing stuff!

Russ