PDA

View Full Version : Living in NorthWest good test for leaking roof!!

leskorcala@hotmail.com
11-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Okay, so after finding some water inside my coach I climbed the roof and cover all the broken rivvets with good silicone stuff!

Waited several days for thr rain to stop ,ha, ha! northwest weather ! this time of the year for sure rain!
BTW, we were lucky to find storage for our coach right around the corner ( our old place ) they did not have undercover spot for us ( 1 year waiting list ! ) but they got us very nice level paved strip with 30amp outlet , so everything is running smooth so far!

Anyway, went on the roof again yesterday to see how the roof condition looks and all the rivets are covered very well and tight!

My wife noticed more water, thsi time on the granite floor in spot between two roof vents! back on teh roof! I noticed some stading water near one of teh vent unit right on the base frame where meets the roof! that part has some original silicone there.

I am thinking that there has developed low spot leaking area ! have to wait for the rain to stop , ha, ha if that happen soon ?

Is anyone had problem with the leaking water around the vent of antena's base units?

Les

2001 Newell

tuga
11-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Les,

I have had 3 Newells over the last 20 years; no roof leaks!

Just lucky I guess.

chockwald
11-14-2011, 06:30 PM
No roof leaks here.....so far....knocking on every piece of wood in sight...lol!

afrench45
11-14-2011, 07:24 PM
The only leak I've ever had is where the slide pins go, that wasn't sealed well and Newell fixed that easily.

RussWhite
11-14-2011, 09:08 PM
I have had leaks at the front clearance lights. Fixed easily with new lens and good caulking.

wanderlodgeguy
11-15-2011, 01:27 AM
I have a 96 Wanderlodge and I had a leak in the roof where the TV antenna goes through tha roof. On a Wanderlodge there is a "V" type flashing that the wire bundle is routed through. What I discovered is the wire bundle of maybe 8 wires was caulked before the flashing was put over, BUT, the centre of the wire bundle was not caulked. The water was travelling through the centre of the wire bundle. I separated the wire bundle, applied caulking, and then caulked the outside of the bundle, then re-installed the flashing. That stoppeed the leak that I am sure was there from new.
Hope this helps.

Peter Haggins
96 WB
Coutenay, BC
Vancouver Island

prairieschooner
11-15-2011, 02:14 AM
I would agree with the others. The leaks are most likely from installations that occurred after the original build.
I personally do not like silicone sealants. I would much rather use a polysulfide (and mostly a thiokol based polysufide) but if there was ever silicone used then I beive that you should stay with that sealant. Silicone is very hard to remove once used although there are now products that claim to be able to remove it effectively.

HoosierDaddy
11-15-2011, 02:46 PM
There is a lot of discussion concerning the silicone/polysulfide on the airstream forums:
www.airforums.com