PDA

View Full Version : Slide Extentions - Before or after leveling?

MarkofSJC
12-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Could someone please clarify an important sequence for me? Specifically about the steps you should take in extending slides.

Holland Motorhomes said that the coach should first be parked & leveled, then the slides should be extended. Engine need not be running.

Steve at CA Coach said the exact opposit. Coach should be in travel mode, engine running, extend slides, then level coach. I really don't want to stress (or heaven forbid, break) any aspect of the slides...and I'm sure there's some documentation on the coach we end up with. But I'd really like to understand now!:unsure:

Mark

rheavn
12-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Only talking about Newells, right? If so always believe the guy named Steve.

chockwald
12-05-2011, 07:01 PM
".....always believe the guy named Steve"

Steve, there was an interesting movie (comedy) made back in 2000 called the "Tao of Steve". I think you would get a kick out of it, if you haven't already. The premise is the guy believes the name Steve, as in Steve McQueen, has a special, almost mystical power. He lives his life based on Steve McQueen's persona.

rheavn
12-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Clarke,
Steve McQueen was always one of my hero's. I was lucky enough to run the Elsinore Grand Prix many years ago that he was also entered. I will look up the movie.

chockwald
12-05-2011, 08:43 PM
My favorite Steve McQueen movies: Bullit, Thomas Crown Affair and The Getaway.

Wally Arntzen
12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Mark, I think your talking to the wrong people. Why don't you talk to someone at Newell who really knows how the slides are built and work. I sure would not expect a lot from Holland or the others that your talking to.

RussWhite
12-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Hey, it's the internet and learning who you can trust on a forum is what it is all about.

So, here is my answer:
Engine running, in travel mode, awnings unlocked and arms up ( if you have them ), wait for the light after you turn the switch, verify seal deflated, press the button and hold your breath. Russ

MarkofSJC
12-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Thanks, all! (Especially the "Steve" crowd!). I didn't want to bug anyone at Newell, as I don't have a specific Newell coach number to reference...but to me it makes sense to be in travel mode so that when it levels it's already "maxed" on it's footprint.

lbrachfe
12-06-2011, 02:31 AM
Steve and Russ are both correct.

tuga
12-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I was confused when I first purchased my coach so I called Newell. They said the slides should be extended and retracted in the travel mode position only. The way Newell explained it to me is that when you level the coach - you are putting the body in a twist. You do not want to extend or retract the slide when the body is in a twist.

It is equally important to put the coach in the travel mode when you are retracting the slides. I start my engine and let it idle until the HWH control shows a green travel mode light. Then I retract the slide. It takes a few minutes for the HWH to return to travel mode; be patient.

lbrachfe
12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
and Tuga too !!!!

MarkofSJC
12-07-2011, 12:27 AM
:thumbsup: I love this board! It's really a brain trust.

Thanks, everyone!