PDA

View Full Version : Big Bend Texas

folivier
02-25-2012, 01:16 AM
We arrived here this afternoon at the Maverick RV Resort. The drive down from Alpine was nice, a couple places were pretty steep grades, down to 1st gear and 28 mph in one spot! Very nice place, takes Passport America 1/2 off first night and 10% FMCA discount for the other nights. Took a drive into the state park and took a few pictures that I posted on my blog: http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com
I'm really impressed with the colors, didn't expect that. Tomorrow we'll take a day trip deeper into the park and do some jeep trailing and hiking.
Then Sunday may go into the national park.
Here is the view from the campground:

Summersgal
02-25-2012, 03:00 AM
WOW!! Very pretty!! I have to look at the map and see where in Texas this place is at! I didn't realize that Texas had something this pretty!

Pam

Richard and Rhonda
03-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Forrest,

Make sure you check out two things. The natural hot tub just north of Rio Grande Village. It's about a 2 mile hike.

And get a map and look at the Window trail at the Basin. Now look at how you would access that from the bottom. The trail is not on any official map. Take the access road opposite the old farm site. Take the right hand fork of the trail. It leads to a fern grotto in the middle of the desert. Dangest thing out there.

prairieschooner
03-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Forrest,

The natural hot tub just north of Rio Grande Village. It's about a 2 mile hike.

2 mile hike? Forest stop by for 'happy hour" instead! we'll take the CJ7 on a 2 mile hike!lol!

folivier
03-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Well we did the hot tub, sorry Richard didn't get your suggestion in time. Wifi was terrible there.
At Davis mountain state park now for 8 days. Very nice. Wifi about 100 yards away and cell at top of Skyline drive. But really nice and quiet. Had about 8 mule deer walk right past us this morning.
Steve, did you ever make it out to Parker?
We're heading to Albuquerque in a week and watch the weather then head to Moab.
Anybody wanna meet us there?

Richard and Rhonda
03-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Watch out for the javelina in Davis Mt State Park. They created quite a stir with the Scouts one night.

Do visit the Observatory while you're out there.

prairieschooner
03-02-2012, 02:42 AM
Forest,
Yes, we were there for Christmas and New Years. I got numerous assignments so we had to come back to work (you remember work right$$$$$$$$$) and to repair and still repairing my rental. Looks like our next trip is sometime in the future, just not the near future!

folivier
03-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Saw the observatory yesterday. Very nice. Going to a star party tonight, low temps will be 30 so the air should be clear and crisp.
Walking here to the wifi area I saw about 8 javalinas grazing through. The mule deer yesterday morning right outside my window looked tastier.

folivier
03-12-2012, 12:37 AM
We've been here since Thursday and leave tomorrow morning for Gallup, NM.
Caballo Lake RV Park is a nice, clean, quiet park with all pullthroughs a short walk from Caballo Lake. All this for $15.00/night + electric, or $150.00/month + electric. It's a typical gravel lot.
Definately worth a few days visit or longer.
This is the view from our site with the lake and mountains:

prairieschooner
03-12-2012, 12:48 AM
I think that I am getting close to being finished with the refurbish of my rental and it looks like work is starting to slow down (the long range boats are almost all back in the water). How long will you guys be in NM?

folivier
03-12-2012, 01:17 AM
We leave Tues or Wed. for Moab, we'll be at Camp Verde TT park in April 16-30.
Then visit Tom & Darlene and hang around Arizona until end of May when we fly home for a few months. We might store the coach at Camp Verde, $50/month storage. I'll check it out when we get there.

folivier
03-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Pulled into USA RV park in Gallup, NM after driving 320 miles. Just got back from (cautiously) eating a green chile burger on fry bread. It was very good, not as hot as I expected. At least not as hot as that darn green chile tamale in Santa Fe!

chockwald
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Forest, we have stayed at USA RV Park in Gallup 3 times on our travels across I-40 and like it a lot. Got snow there once. Plenty of long pull through sites. I can imagine you were very cautious eating the green chili burger....I still remember you being in distress in Santa Fe.

folivier
03-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Well we left a month ago today and pulled into the Spanish Trails RV park about noon today. Nice park, we have a spot in the front so get a great view out the front windows. A little highway noise but not bad. We'll be here 2 weeks at $20/night! with the Passport America discount for the entire 2 weeks. First place we've seen that gives the discount for that long. Usually only 2 days. But there are only 8 other rv's here.
We'll probably drive into Arches National Park early tomorrow morning and spend the day exploring. We bought the National park pass in Texas and should be on the plus side in a couple days.
So far on this trip this is the most spectacular place.
This is the views from our campsite:20122013

chockwald
03-16-2012, 02:28 AM
We got our Senior Pass at the Padre National Seashore....great deal for $10 for the rest of your life.....just have to be 62. We've used our Passport America discount 3 times so far, and you're right....most will only give it 2, or 3 days, and only during the week, not on the weekends. You've got a great deal!

prairieschooner
03-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Wish we were there! pretty cool that an underground salt bed, sandstone and erosion could create such a wondrous place.
We stopped there on our way back from Crede, enjoy!:thumbsup:

folivier
03-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Incredible sunrise this morning. I went outside but it is so windy I just opened the window and took this:

One problem I'm having is with the low humidity everytime I touch my laptop I zap it with static electricity. I've had it shut down a few times, already had to reload Firefox. Any ideas how to prevent this?

chockwald
03-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Zap Cindy first, then touch the computer......lol.

tuga
03-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Forest,

This is just a guess, but would it help if you wore rubber gloves. You know the kind that mechanics use to change oil etc. You must have a box of these gloves in your tool box area. It might stop the transfer of static electricity.

If you are close to Bryce Canyon National Park be sure to visit - it is awesome!

Glad you guys are having fun!

prairieschooner
03-18-2012, 01:02 AM
that's a great idea Forest! besides you would be ready to perform an inspection at a moments notice.:o