PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Siding Replacement

Newell Attack
12-25-2006, 03:26 AM
I am in need of replacing approximately 4 sheets of the aluminum siding due to heat exposure, Is this a do it your self type of project or is professional service suggested?

HereWeGo
12-29-2006, 04:58 AM
I would think anyone with mechanical abilities or experience could pull this off. You will have to drill out all the rivets to remove the panels. If you have worked with sheet metal on autos and such it should be feasable for you to do it yourself. I'm not sure where to buy the siding material other than Newell.

Newell Attack
12-30-2006, 02:03 AM
Thank You for your reply I do have another question for you,

do I have to use pop rivets or is there a way to install the round head rivets?

HereWeGo
12-30-2006, 03:19 AM
You will have to use pop-rivets. The round head rivets that the factory used are buck-rivets and they are put in before the interior walls are installed. Buck-rivets are usually done with two workers, one using a air hammer with a buck-rivet head attachement with another person holding some type of steel dollie for the rivet to flatten its back side against, same at they do aircraft.

encantotom
07-23-2007, 05:14 AM
you can get plastic round head inserts that go into the pop rivets to make them look like solid head rivets. i have some but have not tried them yet. will let you know how they work.
tom

JohnC
08-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Please be sure that you provide separation/insulation of the aluminum from the steel.

Aluminum and steel do not get along well toghether, and in a relatively short period you may start to see blisters in the aluminum where it comes in contact with the steel.

JohnC