PDA

View Full Version : Diamondshield Removal on front Cap of Coach

encantotom
03-22-2012, 04:10 AM
my coach has the what used to be clear diamondshield (or equivalent) on the front of the coach. it is faded and cracking and looks awful. i have searched online a ton to see if there is any easy way to remove it. i have not found much. i ordered some plastic razor blades to help peel it off and have gotten some 3m adhesive remover to help with the residue. it appears it is going to take most of the rest of my life to get it all off.

i would NEVER put this stuff on again.

anyone have any brilliant ideas on removing this stuff? i have spent quite some time and gotten a tiny strip off.

rheavn
03-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Never tried it, but I have read of others doing so. Try using a hair dryer to warm the surface. Small areas. Slow progress.

tuga
03-22-2012, 01:17 PM
I was at Newell a few years ago for service and the bay next to me 2 workers were removing diamondplate from the front of a coach. They worked for 2 full days (10 hrs/day) getting it off! They were using a hair dryer type device heating it first and then just peeling it off.

Give Newell a call; they may apply a softening agent prior to heating w/ hair dryer. I don't think they use anything but a phone call only takes a minute and it may make it a little bit faster.

Good luck!

encantotom
03-22-2012, 01:59 PM
yea, i tried the heating. all it does is make it soft and break into tiny pieces. i read all those posts on various sites.

i think once i get the plastic razor blades i ordered, that it will be easier. slow and easy so it doesnt hurt the paint.

at least it is mindless work. right up my alley.

tuga
03-22-2012, 03:50 PM
yea, i tried the heating. all it does is make it soft and break into tiny pieces. i read all those posts on various sites.

i think once i get the plastic razor blades i ordered, that it will be easier. slow and easy so it doesnt hurt the paint.

at least it is mindless work. right up my alley.

tom

Like Curly on the 3 stooges used to say, "I keep trying to think, but nothing happens!"

Ron Skeen
03-22-2012, 04:15 PM
I have taken my sheild off and it was tuff. I have the plastic razor blades and holder and all kinds of different solverent along with heat gun. I found that when park in the sun working a little every day was the easiest. I would have left it along if I had known what I was getting into and also the protection it gave. Mine probably look worse now then it did with the sheild. You can look at mine and make a judgement.

Ron

folivier
03-22-2012, 04:28 PM
What about getting it started then using a pressure washer carefully to peel it off?

jwe648
03-22-2012, 05:25 PM
This is what the Diamond Shield folks say... So it seems you're following the right path.. good music and a cocktail would help also!
"Diamond Shield Nano-Fusion Paint Protection Film can be removed from any OEM paint surface by first softening the film and adhesive using a hair dryer or heat gun then lift the film at approx. 15° angle; standing to the side pull the film toward you thereby releasing the film from the surface. If any sections are known to have been repainted, extreme care should be taken on those sections during removal. Complete warming of the surface must be achieved before pulling the film off slowly, continuously heat the film at the peel point during removal. Be careful not to overheat the film or it will become too soft and tear".

Summersgal
03-22-2012, 09:17 PM
This is what I did on our RZR that we purchased a few months ago...Hair Dryer! Then after using the hair dryer to remove and peeled all the labels, I used GOOFOFF(Lowe's) to remove any sticky residue left. Then washed with soap and water!

Pam

prestadude
03-22-2012, 09:42 PM
My coach (2000) had the same problem. It looked terrible. I had Newell do the removal and application of a replacement. Turns out that in spite of their best efforts, paint started coming off with the film and the front had to be repainted. They no longer use the adhesive film, they instead spray on a thick layer of clear material that has the same protective properties but more durable and long lasting. As an added bonus, they added a chrome strip stamped with the Newell logo (used on later years) giving my coach a bit of a new look.