PDA

View Full Version : How to remove tar off our coach?

Summersgal
04-09-2012, 10:03 PM
We took a short 500 mile trip this weekend and while leaving out they had laid some new black top on the road, and of course now its all over the side of our coach! :angry: So now I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what you have used to get this nasty black tar off? So if anyone has any good tips I would love to hear them!

Thanks
Pam

HoosierDaddy
04-10-2012, 12:12 AM
WD-40 Spray it on . Let it sit. Wipe it off. Repeat as necessary!

rheavn
04-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Pam,
I don't like to use any thing that takes off my wax, so I use a cleaner wax to remove tar. Then I redo the area with a carnuba wax.

MarkofSJC
04-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Hoosier Daddy is right, but to minimize the mess I'd use a lot of paper towels. Spray area and let sit for a minute or two. Use a paper towel to start removing it, turning the paper towel so you aren't just smearing it. Use additional paper towels as needed. After completing, hose down all areas where WD-40 was applied and make sure you re-wax those areas!

jack14r
04-10-2012, 12:38 AM
kerosene will dissolve it

tuga
04-10-2012, 01:01 AM
I don't know if you can find any but lighter fluid works great. Today, people use disposable lighters so it is probably difficult to find. I'm sure like Jack said, kerosene will work.

Boy, Jack did you ever think Jon would buy a 2 slide bus?

And a Liberty at that! I'm happy for he and Di; they will really like the extra room.

Summersgal
04-11-2012, 02:19 AM
Thanks everyone. We had some goo gone jel that I used. I had tried the WD 40 and it just wasn't working good at all! And this stuff I had used on my car before and it worked, and after reading on it it was suggested that I use it. After working the last 2 days on it I have it all off! Thanks for all your suggestions! Now it has been washed and back in the RV Shop here at the house!!

Thanks again,
Pam

smagown
04-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Varsol is a product that has been around forever and most petroleum distributors have it in 5 to 50 gallon containers.
I've used it for years. You may have to re wax the area but it cuts asphalt and tar easily. It can even be used on interior
made of cloth or clothes if you get tar on your clothes. It has a petroleum smell but washes out. I also use it on my shop
floor for oil spills. Wash off with water and let dry before walking on it because it is very slick for floor use.
Thanks,

HoosierDaddy
04-14-2012, 12:04 AM
BTW if you happen to get grease on your carpet brake cleaner will remove it. Spray it on..wipe with clean rag immediately.

chockwald
04-14-2012, 01:43 AM
Bug and Tar Remover works for me......will post brand name tomorrow....