PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating Zip Dee Awnings?

LynnJeff
04-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Has anyone seen or done powdercoating on their Zip Dee Awnings? Hubby is convinced that they will look better black and yes, I know it will 'break the bank' [I have a bid from a reliable guy who will do the detailed uninstall and reinstall....no problem but he is concerned about the thickness and if they will work and work well].....any thoughts? advice? thanks.

43' Newell circa 1991 with 2006 and 2012 'rebuild'

Brad Townsend
04-21-2012, 12:31 PM
You might want to get an opinion from Zip Dee.

Richard and Rhonda
04-21-2012, 01:40 PM
First powder coating of aluminum is routine. It's the rage in the aftermarket rim world. Find out how thick the coating will be, get some shim stock from McMaster Carr in that thickness and stick it between the rails of the awning. Don't forget to account for all sides that will have the extra thickness.

LynnJeff
04-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Great suggestion. Thanks. Yes, that area between the rails of the awning is what has us worried due to the extra thickness from both sides. And yes, we are checking with Zip Dee but fully expect them to say don't do it.....

Richard and Rhonda
04-28-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm an idiot.

Anodize them. No thickness added. It actually strenthens the aluminum. It may not be quite as rich a black as powder coat, but it will work.