PDA

View Full Version : dash atachment

encantotom
05-20-2012, 04:18 AM
hi,

in 97 or so the cockpit style changed. the top of the dash is formed plastic covered in leather. lots of contours and curves. it goes clear across the dash.

it is attached with 10 or more automotive grip clips like those in a car door panel.

a bunch of mine were bent over or broke. i can replace them, (have to take part of the leather off and reattach it).

in fact i bought the clips already.

but what i am wondering is if i could put self adhesive velcro on it and the fixed dash and reattach it that way. any of you tried that?

thanks

tom

lbrachfe
05-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Good idea. Let us know how it stands up during travel.

Bill & Sonja
05-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Without seeing the situation I like the velcro idea better than those grip clips. Looking forward to the outcome.

folivier
05-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Maybe the "industrial style" velcro?

express1
05-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Planning to be in there alot????? Maybe a zipper would also work!!! Panel plugs usually go in and out ok for me....

happyjack
05-20-2012, 08:39 PM
hi matt, actually i am looking for the easy way out. a number of the panel plugs were bent over or broken off. to change them you have to peel back the leather and reglue/staple it.

i usually get inside the dash every couple of hours or so. the zipper idea sounds good. you are so helpful....

later

tom

davidmbrady
05-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Tom, if the clips you're referring to are of the christmas tree variety, I've had success cutting a slit in the flange of the clip and a slot in the panel and threading them in. A Fein saw, or similar, work nicely to cut a slot into the panel. This way you can leave the panel fabric covering intact.

David Brady
'02 Blue Bird, Wanderlodge, LXi, NC

RussWhite
05-21-2012, 11:06 AM
David - a very clever idea. I am missing a clip or two, but have plenty in service to keep the dash in place. I am very happy with the access and ease of removal and installation and the clean look. All the curves do make monting all the little extrass a challenge - TPMS -VMSpc -GPS a bit of a challenge.

Russ