PDA

View Full Version : headlights

encantotom
05-27-2012, 03:53 AM
hi all,

today while michael day was putting my bathroom back together i worked on rewiring my headlights and installing new headlights.

i ran new 12g power and ground to each headlight. newell had run a single wire and then split it to go to each headlight. and one 30amp breaker powering both bright and dim.

i decided to do it different.

after i had it rewired and michael confirmed that it was done correctly, i tried it and it would trip the 30a resettable breaker. i spent hours tracing wires and couldnt find any issue.

i put it back to the original config and it still tripped the breaker.

for some reason i decided to try a different relay. and it worked. ended up that the dual 87 tyco relays i got from a headlight guru online had diodes in them and for some reason my coach really didnt like diodes in the relays. i tried several of the same relay with the same result.

so, now i need to rewire it back to the way i want and use a non diode relay.

live and learn.

tom

Jvanloan
05-27-2012, 08:11 PM
If the diodes were across the coil, there were to suppress the voltage spike when the coils were de-energized. If true, you likely had the polarity reversed on the coils and the diodes were forward biased.

encantotom
05-27-2012, 08:56 PM
michael and i are chuckling because we thought that too. i reversed the coil wires and it still did it. put the old relays in and still did it.

i have stopped trying to figure out why and will just work with it the way it works.

thanks for commenting

tom