PDA

View Full Version : entrance steps

encantotom
06-20-2012, 06:01 AM
my steps were making the gear grinding noise and having a hard time closing. they were also very loosey goosey.

i decided rather than repairing them to just replace them. ordered a new kwikee series 32 from PPL and the first one came damaged. ppl was very responsive and sent me another step immediately.

i removed and replaced the step tonite after work. it is very solid and quiet. glad i did it.

only thing i had to do was to drill out the mounting holes a little to get them to fit over the bolts on the coach.

now i have some spare parts off of the old one.

tom

rheavn
06-20-2012, 02:05 PM
One of my first repairs on my coach when I purchased it was to replace the steps with a new series 32 set. I found PPL the cheapest & delivery was quick. I had to replace the door switch on mine as the steps worked backwards when I hooked them up. I guess you didn't have that problem--Kwikee made a change around 2000/2001. If any one has to replace the steps on an older coach you will have to replace the door switch that is included with the steps. I'm surprised you had to ream out the mounting holes as mine bolted right up. The new step have worked great.

prairieschooner
06-20-2012, 04:07 PM
We don't have steps but it would be a great addition.
Tom, would you post a link when you get a chance?

express1
06-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Steve, don't you mean a "lift"

rheavn
06-20-2012, 05:09 PM
http://www.powergearus.com/products/steps

prairieschooner
06-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Come to think of it a lift would help!

thanks for the link.

smagown
06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
I recently replaced my steps with the Series 32. My step isn't retracting when the engine is cranked. With the rocker switch in the up position it retracts with the door switch, but with the rocker in the down position it stays extended. This is why I mangled the previous set. At the step connector under the coach the yellow wire doesn't have voltage. Fuse # 5 (5 amp) at the passenger footwell is hot with the key on and is labeled step override. The wire is also yellow. Any idea where this wire is routed?
Thanks,

encantotom
06-24-2012, 03:31 PM
hi steve, i sent you the owners manual in case you didnt have it but it will just tell you the same thing. that the yellow wire is the ignition overide and it should have 12v when the ignition is on and if it does the steps will retract.

it does sound like the wire between the kick panel and the step is bad. i would take the fuse out at the kick panel, and ohm the wire between there and the step and see if it is open for sure.

tom

smagown
06-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Good idea Tom, will try that.
Thanks,