PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling area letting go

mnhoff
06-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Hello to everyone. I own coach # 372. At the mid entry ceiling area
I have about a 2 foot diameter area letting go. What is behind the padded
area that supports the ceiling finish? Does anyone know what the ceiling struts
look like? If so I may be able to screw affected area back in place? Or am I looking
at removing a large area of the ceiling? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Neweller
08-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Hi mnhoff, this post somehow got missed or something. I know there are a few people on here that have either addressed repairs or redid ceilings on Newell's like yours. I done it on prior models a its not all that hard and if you are handy can most surely fix it yourself. A picture of the area in question would help even more.

Ken

Neweller
08-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Actually, I have seen some photo's in a couple of members personal albums working on areas around the ceilings. I'll look for you and in the mean time someone might chime in.

Ken

mnhoff
08-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks for your reply Ken. Since I have posted I took on the project. I removed a two piece, 16 foot brass inlay then removed the staples on both sides holding up the cieling finish. The problem was a little more complex than I expected. The entire 4x8 sheet of 1/4 " G1S plywood had let go from the maple cieling struts. It was fixed with 1/4 inch staples that worked its way loose dropping that sheet about 1 inch. I inserted a screw driver head into a 1/4 inch rachet and slowly got the affected area back into place. Re-assembled and glued brass inlay into place with great success. Thanks Mike

Neweller
08-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Mike, that is fantastic. Hopefully better than new. I never liked using staples unless I'm gluing too. Obviously Newell has a reason why they don't. I'm thinking maybe if there ever was a repair it would be even more difficult than you explained. Seems like screws would my choice of fastener. I have worked on other RV's and everything is pretty much stapled and or glued and pulling any Luan off of 2x2's becomes a combined replacement of materials. And I usually go back overkill without adding any extra weight.

I would love to pick up a later model Newell where I could redo some of the interior to my own liking and of course get something shaved off the purchase price. I'm a sweat equity kind of guy.

Ken