PDA

View Full Version : GPS just for the big guys?

Hugo
07-29-2012, 12:12 AM
I've heard there is a GPS setup for semi trucks and rvs where it plans routes taking into account the vehicles height and weight. Then routing you around problem spots so you don't find yourself in a jam. We usually plan our trips out before hand and I use MapQuest to route the trip and then we print it off and the wife plays co-pilot. But we are thinking what if we just want to jump in and go? No "planning ahead" involved! We have a built in GPS for our other vehicles but we are thinking it's time to purchase a GPS for the Newell.

With technology always changing, things can be outdated so fast. I thought I might ask what is the most popular brand and model among you folks here?

Thanks for the help.

Hugo
07-29-2012, 12:15 AM
I encourage you to please share your experiences in using the GPS while driving your Newell? I know the GPS in one of our vehicles is actually a bit delayed and I can only imagine that happening in a 45' Newell. I guess I better not drive like a californian in my Newell and just go to the next exit if the GPS were delayed? haha.. pun intended. :)

Neweller
07-29-2012, 03:24 AM
Well, if you hit a bottleneck like I have on numerous occasions while in California, you should have plenty of time for the lag to catch up. lol

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
07-30-2012, 12:01 AM
This is a tough situation. I purchased the Rand McNally for RVs and I do not recommend it. It is hard to see on a bright day since it has a light green background and white streets. Yesterday, it sent me 32 miles out of the way. Garbage. I am interested in the Garmin for trucks and the other one sold by Camping World (having a senior moment), but preliminary research tells me that they do not have a port for an external antenna, which I consider essential. I plan to do more research to find the perfect unit, but am not hopeful.

Hugo
07-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Well, if you hit a bottleneck like I have on numerous occasions while in California, you should have plenty of time for the lag to catch up. lol

Yes, we experience that a lot down here in southern cal. We left early so we could try and avoid it. But once we got into the LA area we were sitting in traffic on the I-5 for a good amount of a time. What should have been about an 8hr trip ended up being closer to an 11hrs. We are glad to be down to spend this week with our daughter and some friends. We'll be headed to dinner after a bit if we are lucky lol we won't hit a bottleneck that's too bad and if we're really lucky we won't hit one at all!

Hugo
07-30-2012, 09:11 PM
This is a tough situation. I purchased the Rand McNally for RVs and I do not recommend it. It is hard to see on a bright day since it has a light green background and white streets. Yesterday, it sent me 32 miles out of the way. Garbage. I am interested in the Garmin for trucks and the other one sold by Camping World (having a senior moment), but preliminary research tells me that they do not have a port for an external antenna, which I consider essential. I plan to do more research to find the perfect unit, but am not hopeful.

32 miles out of the way? Now, that's a pain! If you find that perfect unit I have faith that you'll be sharing about it here. I'll have to look into the one they sell at Camping World. Technology is great but it would be nice if they could get a system down that actually worked with out such mistakes.

I know sometimes we have a hard time with the GPS in our vehicles because what it says is the "fastest route" isn't always the fastest and it's funny how a lot of the times it's the slowest or most out of the way route. Especially, if you have a general idea of where you are going or should go, it's much faster if you go the route you know. But again that is most helpful in a automobile, it sure would be nice to have a GPS for the Newell because it could point us to fuel stations and food as we go.

If anyone else has a solution or system that works for them please let me know.

bigcatwally
10-13-2012, 02:29 AM
A GPS is nice to have but nothing beats a compass to keep me from driving around and around in circles. lol!

The Newell
10-13-2012, 02:56 AM
A lot of rver's prefer to use Microsoft streets and trips over a standard GPS but that is more so a personal choice made by each individual.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
10-13-2012, 03:42 PM
I understand that Rand McNally has an upgrade in the works with a brighter screen. I do not think it is on the market yet. The Rand McNally that I purchased froze up and then died. It is back at the factory under warranty. My research pointed to the Garmin 7" truck unit, but it will not work for me since it does not have an external antenna, and has to be placed close to the windshield (works for a truck, but not my coach).

JT.Booth
10-15-2012, 02:03 AM
Chester B. Stone, Jr. Did you have model Rand McNally GPS RVND 7710?

JT.Booth
10-15-2012, 02:05 AM
Rand McNally TripMaker® RVND™ 7710: Multi-Stop Trips

http://youtu.be/lm5zIOFhIbQ

folivier
10-15-2012, 12:39 PM
I have the Magellan 1700 which I like with its 7" screen. They offer an upgrade for it to Co-Pilot Live which supposedly has height restrictions, etc.
Has anyone used Co-Pilot live?

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
10-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Yes, I have the 7710, but I have returned it to RM under warranty, and I have asked them not to repair it but to upgrade me to the 7720. I will pay to upgrade since the 7710 is basically worthless.

Cheri Smith
11-11-2012, 02:08 AM
I have the Magellan 1700 which I like with its 7" screen. They offer an upgrade for it to Co-Pilot Live which supposedly has height restrictions, etc.
Has anyone used Co-Pilot live?

Forest and Cindy do you like the Magellan? We were just looking over the features on the RV9165T-LM model.

7" touch screen: Navigate on a wide 7" screen
The Good Sam club Trailer Life directory provides one-stop RV resource for every aspect of the RVing experience
Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts provide you alternative route options in the event that there's traffic jams or other delays along your path.
Customize RV routes using your own vehicle's length, width, weight and height
A/V Input: easy connection to external devices such as back-up cameras, DVD players, and iPods
OneTouch Favorites Menu™: Personalize your travel experience with icons of your favorite places and searches. Easily create shortcuts to your favorite destinations and previous searches with personalized bookmarks so you can quickly find them anywhere you travel
Free Lifetime Map Updates: Never worry about out-of-date maps again. Download the latest map information (up to 2 times a year) for the life of your Magellan RoadMate navigator.
Spoken Street Names: Street names and directions are called out so that you know when to make the next turn while keeping your eyes on the road
Quickspell: Magellan's patented method of helping you enter in addresses correctly - even if you are not sure of the spelling
6 Million Points of Interest: Make it easy to find gas stations, restaurants, ATMs, coffee shops, and much more
Highway Exit POIs: Find gas stations and rest areas along your route while you are navigating
Multi-Destination Routing: Plan your entire afternoon or driving vacation with all your stops in one route
Smart Detour: Immediate detour option if you are suddenly caught in traffic
Built-in Maps: A wealth of detail in millions of points of interest as you travel the 50 United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico
Bird's-eye View: Lets you clearly see your surroundings in either 2D or 3D
Automatic re-route: Missed the turn? It happens to the best of us. Quickly get back on track with auto re-route
Customizable Route Method: Select shortest distance, fastest time, most use of freeways, or least use of freeways
Address Book: You can definitely get there from here! Create and store personal points of interest and skip repeated address entry
Auto Night View: Adjusts color and contrast for easy night viewing

It sounds like it has a lot to offer. Or maybe the question is what does it not offer? I don't know if I would even learn to use all the different features, lol!

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
11-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Rand McNally repaired my 7710 and returned it to me, but would not let me upgrade to the newer 7720. So I am stuck with this piece of junk that I cannot even see on a bright day.

Charlotte Rosita
11-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Rand McNally repaired my 7710 and returned it to me, but would not let me upgrade to the newer 7720. So I am stuck with this piece of junk that I cannot even see on a bright day.

:thumbdn: Not cool, not cool at all. They should have sent you the upgraded version. These types of things are outdated so fast I hate to waste money on them. Things need to go back to being made in America with pride and quality because it was made/built to last.