PDA

View Full Version : I've got to ask who drives?

Hugo
07-29-2012, 12:25 AM
I drive and the wife relaxes and enjoys the ride. I told her if she can drive a car she can drive the Newell but she refuses. So I was curious as to how many couples out there can say that they both drive thelr Newell? or if only one of you drives? Or if there are ladies alone who drive their Newell with no problems, please share. I look forward to the response and maybe they will be encourging to my wife to give it a try.

Richard and Rhonda
07-29-2012, 01:46 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Rhonda will drive on the rural interstate. She stays in the right lane and will not pass anything. She is amazed that I will sleep while she drives.

chockwald
07-29-2012, 02:27 AM
I know Tom McCloud's (encantotom) wife has driven their 1990, but I don't know if she has driven the 2002 yet. Elaine is not interested in me being her teacher.....I can't imagine why....:-). She relaxes, reads, and enjoys the view. Right now I am happy to be able to do all the driving....it is one of my favorite things to do in life.

tuga
07-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Hugo,

My wife Karen drives the Newell with no problems. She has taken the coach alone on 700 mile trips to Georgia to visit family & friends. She can do anything that she wants to with that coach; including backing into an RV site.

She can check the oil, fluid levels, add air to the tires using the coach air compressor, run the slides in and out, and she does a fair job of polishng the rims.

Any woman who wants to can drive a Newell.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
07-29-2012, 11:42 PM
A few years ago I blew an almost new front tire on I-10 at 70MPH. After that, my wife never drove again and I agree that she probably could not have handled the rig. Something to think about.

Newell Tank
07-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Hugo, my wife has driven our coach many times over the years and does a fine job. She had pulled our old fiver prior, so the intimidation was mostly behind her.

Chester B., I have never experieced a front like that and I don't want to. Did you really have to hang on for the world? Man! I kind of like having my wife drive on some of the boring highways and if she sees this post I might be in trouble.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
07-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Gene, in response to your question, yes. I was driving a Country Coach and it was all I could do to control the rig. First, ran off to the right side of the highway, then to the left side of the highway before I could control it. I was lucky I did not roll it or hit by a semi. She simply would not have been strong enough to control the steering wheel. After this experience, I upgraded my Newell front tires to the 365s without even questioning the decision or cost.

Hugo
07-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Well guys, I think I almost had my wife talked into the idea of trying. But that didn't last long. haha. She says she won the debate after reading some of the posts of the women who choose not to drive and why. Gloria liked reading about the other wife's who do choose to drive and thinks its great they can handle the Newell. For now she said she'd rather I stick to being driver that her co-pilot seat has just as good of a view. lol I still have hopes she'll give it a try on a rural road.

Hugo
07-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Gene, in response to your question, yes. I was driving a Country Coach and it was all I could do to control the rig. First, ran off to the right side of the highway, then to the left side of the highway before I could control it. I was lucky I did not roll it or hit by a semi. She simply would not have been strong enough to control the steering wheel. After this experience, I upgraded my Newell front tires to the 365s without even questioning the decision or cost.

That's some scary stuff. Glad to hear you were able to control your coach because the ending of that could have been bad and very sad. Great choice on upgrading the tires, when it comes to safety it's best not to mess around worrying about the cost.

afrench45
07-31-2012, 02:46 AM
Anyone can drive a Newell! They ride and drive like a dream. I had a blowout on my drive tire last week and had no problems getting it pulled over. I'm 20 now, and have been driving motorhomes since I turned 16. I Just have remember these coaches don't turn easy:thumbsup:

-Andrew

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
07-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Tom, you should be thankful it was a drive tire and not a steer tire. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has blown a steer tire on a Newell at the higher speeds.

Ron Skeen
07-31-2012, 05:13 PM
I blew the steer tire on my 96 running 75. Was not to bad to handle but sounded terrible. Destroyed the rim and broke the fender flare off. My coach has the straight axle and not independent suspension which may make a big different in handling.

larryweikart
07-31-2012, 07:25 PM
6 days after we purchased our Newell, due to unforseen circumstances that caused me to stay home, my wife drove our Newell, alone, with a 26ft. trailer in tow, thru downtown detroit and 350 miles into Canada. Of course she had some prior experience but said it was a better ride than our car. In my estimation, it is important for both partners to learn the basics of handling this type vehicle so that they have some prior experience in case of an emergency.

Hugo
08-01-2012, 05:31 AM
Anyone can drive a Newell! They ride and drive like a dream. I had a blowout on my drive tire last week and had no problems getting it pulled over. I'm 20 now, and have been driving motorhomes since I turned 16. I Just have remember these coaches don't turn easy:thumbsup:

-Andrew

Now that's impressive Andrew! My wife said "wow! That's fantastic!" when I read her your post. I think I may get her to take the wheel when we head east to New York. :) I'll be sure to let everyone know if we make any progress.

Hugo
08-01-2012, 05:41 AM
6 days after we purchased our Newell, due to unforseen circumstances that caused me to stay home, my wife drove our Newell, alone, with a 26ft. trailer in tow, thru downtown detroit and 350 miles into Canada. Of course she had some prior experience but said it was a better ride than our car. In my estimation, it is important for both partners to learn the basics of handling this type vehicle so that they have some prior experience in case of an emergency.

You are right every partner should know how to handle the coach in case of an emergency! My wife asks how your wife felt about having to drive the Newell after only having it for six days? And how did the trip go for her? And does she have any pointers or tips she might offer another woman that has never driven her Newell.

Randy J
08-05-2012, 02:31 AM
We both drive our newell. I love my home on wheels.

Leeann

tuga
08-05-2012, 02:05 PM
I think that if a wife/girlfriend WANTS to learn to drive, she should be encourged. If not, trying to push her into it would be a mistake IMO.

Regarding blowouts, I have seen a Michelin video on tires blowing out. Michelin recommends that the correct response to a blowout is to ACCELERATE briefly then brake gently and pull over to the shoulder of the road and stop.

The reason for accelerating is: the coach has a tendency to shift to one side and accelerating forces it to continue in a straight line. When it is traveling in a staight line it can be controlled more easily.

I had a driver's side front blowout on I-25 in Santa Fe; I was doing 65 mph (my usual speed). I WAS ON CRUISE CONTROL.
When I heard the tire blow, my immediate response was to brake. The coach tracked straight and I pulled over to the shoulder. No damage to the rim, fender, or any insulation. I feel that driving slower mitigated my damage.

My point here is, it doesn't require any extra strength on the part of the driver if they understand what to do in case of a blow out (accelerate). Also, our Newells have power steering.

Learn to drive ladies, if you have a desire to do so. You can do it!

larryweikart
08-05-2012, 09:56 PM
You are right every partner should know how to handle the coach in case of an emergency! My wife asks how your wife felt about having to drive the Newell after only having it for six days? And how did the trip go for her? And does she have any pointers or tips she might offer another woman that has never driven her Newell.

I should have explained that my wife had previously driven a 37' motorhome all over Europe before that incident. This drive was in the late evening and she had no problems except having to execute a u-turn in downtown Detroit. She would tell any person, male or female, that driving a coach, once you get the feel, is just as easy, if not easier than a car, if you give yourself enough room between you an the vehicle in front of you and learn the braking curve of a large vehicle. Do not be overly concerned about whats behind you, they are watching you more intently then you can watch them. Just be aware of anyone passing you. You are sitting higher and your visibility is better than any vehicle you've driven before, so if you drive at a speed you feel comfortable with, you may find confidence can come quicker than you thought.

The Newell
08-05-2012, 10:37 PM
I have to do all the driving since the DW is scared of the Newell But hey I drive and she cooks so its an even trade.

NEWELLWIZARD
08-19-2012, 12:11 AM
I fully agree, everyone should be able to drive the coach. The better half here will only drive on the freeway. She gets to nervous to drive in town or at least that is her excuse. I know for fact that if she had to drive in town she could. But she will never admit it, cause then she would have to share more of the driving.

bigcatwally
08-19-2012, 01:10 AM
My wife can drive the coach and she does. She says that if I can she can and she's right. I think most wives can handle it. It's usually just fear for most, but once they try it a couple times they may want to take over.

Chester B. Stone, Jr.
08-19-2012, 02:12 AM
Just wait until she has a front tire blowout.

Summersgal
08-19-2012, 04:53 AM
I do 99.8% of all the driving. Jeff use to drive the first 30 miles or so, he doesn't even do that now! He has the TV or the Xbox going before I even get out of the driveway. We just came home from a 2516 mile trip and I did all the driving! I enjoy driving our Newell and I never get tired of driving, it is allot of fun. He keeps my glass full of Ice tea and a sandwich when I need it! He try's to convenience me that I need to drive so that he can walk around the coach listening for any strange noises that I can never hear that he claims he can...I don't know how he can hear anything since he always has his headphones on! :-)

Pam

Raymond N Priscilla Miller
08-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Pam that's quite the hook up Jeff has got going! Headphones and all. ;)

The wife doesn't drive. But not because she can't. I enjoy driving the coach and am comfortable doing that. She has taken driving lessons and is capable of taking over if need be or if I become ill.

Our personal arrangement is: I drive us to where we want to go and she drives the toad around when we get there.

NewellCrazy
09-11-2012, 10:15 PM
I do 99.8% of all the driving. Jeff use to drive the first 30 miles or so, he doesn't even do that now! He has the TV or the Xbox going before I even get out of the driveway. We just came home from a 2516 mile trip and I did all the driving! I enjoy driving our Newell and I never get tired of driving, it is allot of fun. He keeps my glass full of Ice tea and a sandwich when I need it! He try's to convenience me that I need to drive so that he can walk around the coach listening for any strange noises that I can never hear that he claims he can...I don't know how he can hear anything since he always has his headphones on! :-)

Pam

Jeff looks like Pam sold you out lol! sweet so whats your gamer tag ? My son and I we play too so what games are you playing these days ?? MW3(Modern Warfare 3), Battlefield 3, any of the Halo games or Call of Duty?

pairodice
09-11-2012, 11:18 PM
My wife took driving lessons from Foretravel in Nacogdoches, TX. She drove at least 50% of the time while I worked in the back of the coach. She is a great driver and I trust her. Once we were driving through a lonely stretch and I was sleeping in the back. I woke up and walked up behind her, when I looked at the speedo she was going over 100mph!
She doesn't like to use the cruise control...

jWolfe
09-12-2012, 05:03 AM
My wife at the time drove the coach but I'd be lying if I said I trusted her! I was afraid of her driving in any vehicle!

No, it's not what you are thinking, this has nothing to do with her being my now ex-wife!

Neweller
09-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Originally I had my wife drive a couple different Class C motorhomes because of the width perception, they feel much smaller compared to a Class A. Now the trick will be to not worry about the length, but of course be aware of it.:mellow:

JustDustin
10-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Teaching your co-pilot to drive your coach is important. You can then share driving duties and it helps cut down driver fatigue. And like others stated if the main driver is you and you should ever become sick or hurt, you can still keep rolling.

speedingsport
10-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Practice makes perfect. A Newell coach is a lot larger and longer than a regular vehicle. So, take your time, get use to your coach and practice, practice, practice! Anyone can drive a Newell coach!

FJGuard
10-14-2012, 07:53 PM
We both drive the Newell. I feel it's very important that both husband and wife should know how to drive. I am the main driver of our coach but my wife still knows how to handle the coach if needed. She is also very good at parking. Another thing that's important is that each traveler should know the ins and outs of map reading. This way hopefully you'll never get lost! :thumbsup:

stewart33
03-08-2013, 08:19 PM
My wife does all the driving... I just get to hold the steering wheel. rollinglol