PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Generator Oil and Service Intervals

Ramblin Ron
08-05-2012, 08:42 PM
I changed the oil on my Kohler generator today. The manual calls for oil to be changed every 50 hours. My question is about the oil and the interval. First, would using a synthetic oil qualify to extend the change interval? Second, would it be okay to change to a multigrade oil?

Thank you in Advance

Ron

lbrachfe
08-06-2012, 03:34 AM
I don't use synthetic in my genset, but do in my engine and run my genset often. I have about 1200 hours on mine and she runs and sounds smooth and cool.

tuga
08-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Ron,

I change my generator oil every 500 hours. I use Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 synthetic. I change my oil at the end of each summer because I use the generator more during the summer. I like to get the old oil out soon after it has been contaminated with dirt and bad things that are formed. I don't like for used oil to sit in the generator for long periods of time.

IMO 50 hours is way too soon to change synthetic oil. As a rule of thumb, synthetic will last 3 times longer than regular oil.

In the series 60 I change it every 15,000 miles.

lbrachfe
08-06-2012, 01:48 PM
I change my genset oil when I change the engine oil which is once a year as well as all my filters and air dryers too. I don't change the air filter until the filter minder gets more than 3/4 way to the top, which depends on driving conditions.