PDA

View Full Version : oil analysis???

Ramblin Ron
08-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Newell owners,

how much oil do i need and who do I send it to for an oil analysis? and how long does it take for results?

thanks

Ron

The Newell
08-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi Ron,

You can Call your local DD dealer, they should be able to help.

You didn't ask, but for others who may not realize it, a single analysis won't tell much.

An analysis is just a tool, like a compression tester, exhaust analyzer, torque wrench, volt meter, etc.

A series of them at regular intervals along with the maintenance logs will provide much more information concerning engine health and potential problems.

I have heard that a coolant analysis can be use full as well.

Ramblin Ron
08-05-2012, 11:41 PM
are you saying getting a quart from the bus and sending it to a DD dealer for analysis will not give me insight as to the condition of the engine since I don't have a series of analysis's over a period of time? Hope that made sense.

The Newell
08-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Hi Ron,

A single analysis can tell you some things. But what if the oil was recently changed?

I would do the oil analysis, just be careful about reading too much into one snapshot.

If you can drive it for a 30+ min ride (longer is better, or so I hear) & put it on the hi-way before you take the sample.

just my $.02 worth If I am wrong someone please correct me.

Newell Attack
08-06-2012, 12:12 AM
DD has a kit that includes everything you need to do the analysis except the postage. They're about $16 for everything. The postage is only a few dollars.
If you've never done this try it once and get your eyes opened.