PDA

View Full Version : Tire care

Randy J
08-06-2012, 08:14 PM
What do you use as far as tire foam/cleaners/protectant type sprays for your coach tires? I am thinking of products like "Armorall Tire Foam" or something similar. We got new tires after we bought our coach. I don't want to take any chances on causing sidewall checking or premature wear. What have you used?

The Newell
08-07-2012, 03:18 AM
In CA the most important thing seemed to be to keep the sidewalls clean. The smog and dirt combined with the uv is what kills em at-least that is what I was told.

Ramblin Ron
08-07-2012, 03:21 AM
I made a quick search and found this product had good reviews

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/sunblock-for-tires/17465

Neweller
08-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Ron, thanks for the camping world link. I didn't see this product at camping world, but probably wasn't looking hard enough.

Randy, I have stayed for extended periods of time in the SW and the dry heat is extremely hard on tires. And I have been told by tire experts to never use products like Armor All and Son or a Gun. Products like these help suck the waxes and emollients out of your tires as with direct exposure to the suns UV rays. If tires have not been properly protected in desert areas for example, I would not even think about pushing use beyond 3-5 yrs. DOT recommends 5-7 yrs from the stamping date.

Ken

lbrachfe
08-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Both Goodyear and Michelin have been using UV protection in the tire composition for several years now that protects against most of the stated issues. The only reason for tire dressing on most quality tires that are less than 5 years old is to make them look good. Armor All Tire Foam is cheap and does the job of cleaning the dirt off.

lbrachfe
08-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Michelin suggests that in extreme climates when standing for long periods that you use a barrier like a piece of wood or plastic under each tire to prevent moisture from being sucked from the rubber by concrete. ALL the tire products are for show and pro drivers never use them. They have the tires scrubbed clean and NO dressing at all.Newell suggests you changed your steer tires out every 3 years and the others in 5 years. Michelin has a chart on their website and indicates with some tires you can run them for 7 years

prairieschooner
08-07-2012, 09:18 PM
I read somewhere that we should use a barrier under the tire (like lbrachfe stated) when at storage.
From what I have read the Steer Tires should be changed earlier because of the extra load on that end of the coach. I really didn't spend much time trying to understand all because our coach is only 30 years old and I don't think that the problem existed in '82.

Randy J
08-08-2012, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the response. I know it's true but it's crazy to think these pro drivers and celebs indorse products yet they don't use them. And to top it off they don't use anything at all? It's all about the money. They should throw down their cards. I'm not into bluffs! :rolleyes:

nav star
08-15-2012, 11:24 AM
I use the basic Armorall or Black Tire, a must if you live in hot dry areas, basically anything to kind of keep some moisture in the tires...

Neweller
08-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Nav Star, a lot of tire manufacturers don't really recommend Armorall too much. They say it doesn't do a great job of holding in the emollients as one might think. The product does have its uses and you can uses it if you choose. There are a lot of proponents for and against it depending on what side of the isle you are.

Ken